“A wonderful project”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A wonderful project”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We decided to visit the bombolulu workshop during one of our free days. We took a taxi from diani beach and crossed the ferry into mombasa town. The workshop assists disabled persons in creating employment and their products are simply stunning.
It is a must visit for anyone and an eye opener!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Trevor H

• Polish first
Somerset/Dorset border, UK
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Bombolulu Workshops and Cultural Centre - a worthwhile experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Bombolulu Workshops and Cultural Centre is a programme of The Association for the Physically Disabled of Kenya.

I took a group of British students to this charity run establishment and found it a very worthwhile experience. We were greeted by clapping and dancing ‘tribes’ who encourage you to do the same as you enter.

We had a fabulous local lunch in the large thatched hut, local tea then more local dancing.

We then had a rather sobering (but interesting) tour of the workshops where people with disabilities were busy making their produce which you could later buy in the large shop. Employing the disabled and providing housing is essential here as the disabled are considered cursed and are often shunned or hidden away by their families, and, of course, treatment is not widely available. I did find the nursery rather upsetting.

Then you can wander and experience the local ways of life which are recreated and explained.

All students (and teachers alike) found it a very interesting visit; it certainly provided an insight into the local life culture of disadvantaged Kenyans.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank English-Rosa
London
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Go and support them!”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I visited Bombollulo last year to see what they do as I am involved in importing African Craft to the UK and as I was on a trip visiting basket weavers in Kasigua I thought I would have a look and I was very impressed. I visited each workshop and ended up brining over a lot of jewellery which has been very successful indeed. I am now going back in May to initiate my own designs and continue working with them. I cannot say how much this organisation helps the physically disabled and how important their role is in a country that these people may otherwise get side lined in. They provide a kind and helpful environment where people can go about life in a safe way and contribute to their living by producing the most wonderful craft products.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank travelbeehappy
Mombasa, Kenya
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“souvenirs”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

nice souvenirs with bats hanging from the entrance ceiling...I find it really cool to look at them. Lovely staff and well made crafts

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Wencki
london
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“An eye opener”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

See the workshops and the products made by hand, by very clever disabled people. Also see the crocs, hippos and baboons. Well worth a visit.

Visited August 2011