“Cant wait for August 7th. 2013.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Freddy Safaris - Day Tours - CLOSED

Freddy Safaris - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Freddy Safaris is a tour operator company who's commitment is to offer tour operator services in the whole of East Africa by taking people with a passion for wildlife, cultural heritage, adventure and exploration to the region's prolific wildlife, and involve you in holiday safaris, honeymoon or romantic safaris, historical safaris, photographic specialized safaris, climbing Africa's highest mountains, self drive safaris, bird watching safaris, camping safaris, walking safaris, biking safaris and horse riding safaris.
coventry west midlands
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Cant wait for August 7th. 2013.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Myself and Diane, our son Jamie and his partner Lynsey have used Freddy before. We always request Beka to be our guide, but from other reviews all the staff seem great. We booked a long time ago for our safari, bush tour, and this time we are to visit an elephant and rhino orphanage. I have phoned Freddy at various times with reference to this visit. I am always so impressed that Freddy will return my calls to answer any questions. Like I have said we have used Freddy Safaris before, and have always been impressed. Dont worry about any up front deposites, we have had no problems. Dont change anything Freddy. It was Jamie and Lynsey who visited in June 2012. Myself and Diane are back this August. Phil and Diane. UK.

Manchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fantastic Service. Dont hesitate, book today !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and myself wanted to do a four day safari with very specific elements, and Freddy delivered our dream safari and much more !!!
We contacted Freddy via the internet from England, outlining what we wanted from our trip, and Freddy got back to us very quickly with a safari package that matched what we wanted in every detail. After reading these details, we went ahead and booked, and we are so glad we did.
After paying a deposit before leaving England, Freddy came to meet us at our resort hotel to make sure everything was good to go. He is such a lovely genuine man, that wants to make sure that you have a magical safari.
On the first day of our safari, our driver/guide, Francis, arrived promptly at the time arranged, and from the moment we met, he made sure we were happy and comfortable. We were lucky enough to be the only occupants of an 8 seater safari van, which added to our comfort. During the next 4 days we visited Tsavo East and West, Amboseli, Mzima Springs and the Rhino Sanctury. No matter where we went, we always felt safe and confident with Francis. He was so knowledgeable about all the wildlife, and thanks to hime, we saw so many animals, some well-known, and some not so well-known.
We returned to our hotel on the evening of the fourth day, and recieved a lovely e-mail from Freddy, asking if we had had a good trip. Our reply was that our trip had been fantastic, far more than we had been expecting. Since returning to England, we have had another e-mail from Freddy, thanking us for booking our trip through his company. So if you are uncertain who to book your safari with, dont hesitate, book through Freddy Safari, and you will get a magical experience that will never leave you, especially if you request Francis to be your driver.
So, asante sana Freddy, and we will definitely book through your company next time !!!

Visited November 2012
Runcorn, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A fantastic safari”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I arranged my safari with Freddy via the internet. He met me as agreed at my hotel and then we went to his office.

My family and I had a great time. We chose to upgrade to the 4X4 and did the 2 nights. This was a good move. I had done a safari in the past
and that was in a minibus. With the 4X4 we saw more in a couple of hours than we saw in two days on the other trip.

Our driver was George. He was very knowledgable and took us to to places that were not accessible in a minibus, such as by the river. We were the only people in our hotel that saw a rhino. While the other tour operators were running all over the place George just turned off the engine and we sat near a watering hole. The rhino passed within 20 yards of us.

After we had finished the tour, Freddy came to the hotel to see us and to make certain that we had had a good time.

Would recommend Freddy Safari Tours to anyone.

Visited December 2011
nieuwe pekela
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fantastic honeymoon thanks to Freddy and Beka”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had a fantastic honeymoon thanks to the team of Freddy....First they picked us up at our hotel at 5.am..that was so early but when we arrived at the Tsavo east we forgot the time..it was so wonderfull, we have seen many animals, the big 5 unless 1, so the big 4...Beka did his very best to show us all what we wanted...Instead of the Rhino we saw the hippo...then we had lunch at Voi safari lodge..it was ok..but most beautifull was seeing the elephants washing themselves..then we made more gamedrives to Tsavo West , we slept at Ngulia Lodge..It was great, a good hotel with good food and beds. On the road to the hotel we have seen the leopard..it was great...Next day we went to Tsavo West for a gamedrive...Beka showed us so many things, it was great...then to Amboselli for a second gamedrive after lunch, we have seen lions with little babies and big elephants...Our hotel was Kibu safari camp...not an hotel but tents..that was a great adventure, but this was the best thing we have ever seen...at the foot of the Kilimanjaro with the big view at the Kilimanjaro with a beautifull sunset...When our car was broken Freddy and Beka did everything to make sure we could continue our trip.....we didnt have any complains about them..they are a wonderfull team
We also made the bush tour with Beka, because we have seen many schools and hospitals in Africa this was not our kind of thing..but we now other people like this trip very much...Although Beka tried to satisfy us in any way....
Then we had te shoppingtrip to Mombasa ( mombasa city tour)....Old town, Fort Jesus, market, shoppingcenters and a hindu temple...so it was a great day..again with Beka from Freddy day tours
At last we did the Mombasa by night...That was exciting....we went with a boat to watch the sunset and then the diner in Fort jesus....it was great !!!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank lonneke m
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“9 Day Honeymoon Safari + 5 days in Zanzibar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I want to start out with an intro. My name is Paul Van Gasse. I'm from Portland Oregon. Me and my (new) wife just finished our honeymoon with Freddy's Safaris and it was great.

I found Freddy's Safaris on TripAdvisor and saw great reviews. His quoted prices were far lower than the bigger companies that had better websites and fancy brochures at our local travel agent (in the US). Freddy's company is small. They will ask for quite a bit of cash up front to make some of the bookings. It might even seem a bit unprofessional, even shady at first, but don't worry. I had serious hesitations about sending him cash up front but it all worked out GREAT. You will communicate directly with Freddy via e-mail to make a completely custom, private safari.

The safari we worked out was as follows:

We landed out in Nairobi. Freddy and our driver, Beka, personally drove out from Mombasa to meet us and collect the balance on our safari. Freddy is a cool guy and was very professional. He gave us a review of what we would expect over the next several days.

2 nights at Kibo Safari Camp in Amboseli. This is a great tented camp with good food. Very professionally run. Good pool. Friendly staff. I highly recommend this. The park was good for views of Kiliminjaro and elephants. It was a little strange because draughts for years have driven the animals to the wetlands. This makes game drives incredible because all the animals are in the same place... very dense. I thought this park was very good, not great. After this park we visited a Masai Village. Do not mistake this as just a "let's drop in and see how the Masai live". This is charity, so just know that it's charity before going and then maybe feeling cheated. We went and spent quite a bit of money on (admittedly) overpriced goods, our tour, and we donated to the local school. If you're looking for a bargain this isn't it, but honestly, it felt good to give a little. We have so much and these people have little. They are especially poor because they rely on the land and it basically hasn't rained in Amboseli in years.

1 night in Nairobi at the Fairview Hotel. We did not spend much time in Nairobi because of traffic, and it's too dangerous to sightsee at night. So, this was pretty much a hotel stop. And the hotel was incredible. The Fairview makes you feel like a English Ambassador in the 50's. Nice food, nice music, nice wine... etc... A good rest stop.

1 night at Naivasha Sopa Lodge at Lake Naivasha. This lodge was relatively large, but great. Giraffes, hippos and waterbuck feed right on the grounds. Our safari that day was at Hells Gate. This park isn't about seeing lions - there are none. If you like hiking and get a little stir crazy in a safari vehicle all day, I recommend this park. Go on a good long hike and burn some calories so you can eat more buffet food that night :) Then we went on a boat tour in Lake Naivasha. The island in the lake was very cool. I recommend this boat tour if you like birds.

1 night at Sarova Lion Hill Lodge at Lake Nakuru. The Sarova had great food. If you're into food this would be a highlight. It's luxurious too but I wouldn't call it memorable. It was not charming, even though everything was luxurious. Just not magical. Lake Nakuru was a great park. It had great diversity. There was good bird watching - flamingos, waterbirds, etc.... There were tons of rhinos! If you wanna see rhinos, this park is a MUST (we didn't see them elsewhere). There are lions, too. Great park.

3 nights at Kimana Tented Camp in Masai Mara Reserve. Kimana was interesting. It's certainly not for everyone, but we liked it. It was small, maybe 2 or 3 groups stay there at a time. The pool didn't have water in it. The staff was very informal. Some would call it unprofessional, but the service really was pretty good. The food was not up to the level of any of the other camps/lodges we stayed at. In the end the staff kind of feels like your friends.... it felt more like going camping than going to a hotel or a lodge. The Masai Mara Reserve was incredible. It's remote (hours of driving, much of it on dirt roads far from any sizable town). This is legit safari. While Nakuru (although great in its own right) was right near a city, Masai Mara was REMOTE, and HUGE, and FULL of animals. It was great. Lions everywhere. Cheetas everywhere. We saw lions mate, we saw cheetahs eating over an Impala carcass, etc... you'll see great things. The Mara river was cool too. We didn't see a crossing, but we did feel the energy and confusion of the process. It was cool. Also a good tip, if you want to buy things like necklaces and simple nicknacks, the main gate we entered into the Masai Mara is the place. Local Masai women have the best prices. They are very insistent that you buy some necklaces and bracelets, and your instinct is to push them away, until you hear the prices they want. Dang that's a good deal! You'd better buy em because they won't leave you alone if you don't. Haha.

Our driver Beka was great. Perhaps he could have volunteered a little more information on the wildlife, but if you asked him he knew anything you wanted to know. He's been doing game drives for a very long time and was committed to getting us results. We saw everything we wanted to see except the elusive leopard. Beka in his commitment to find us our leopard drove nonstop for an entire day just looking for leopards. He was on the radio with all the other drivers (they network big-time) looking for leopards and sadly we never found one, but he tried about as hard as you could. We saw just about everything else you could ever expect on a safari, and much more. It was a great time. And I think Freddy is a better deal than many/most of the other companies. And he' bend over backwards to give you what you want.

After our safari in Kenya, Nikki and I proceeded to Zanzibar for 5 nights (which Freddy was happy to book for us as well, including flights). We stayed two nights at Emerson Spice in Stonetown. This was incredible. Stone Town is one of a kind and you'd be remiss to miss it if you're into cultural experiences. The culture in Stonetown is 100% different than the Kenyan culture we experienced on our safari. I can only describe it as "Arabian Nights". People are all some mix of Middle Eastern, African and Indian (probably more, but very interesting). The city's buildings and alleys are SO different from other cities. Tight, dense, old, falling apart sometimes, magical, incredible, ancient... I can't really even explain it. And Emerson Spice... a great place to stay. It was small - only a few large luxurious rooms. It had a great rooftop restaurant with incredible breakfast in the morning, overlooking Stontown rooftops. Just great. The rooms were all unique in layout and decor - a testament to the buildings age and character. If you're looking for a big hotel with a pool this is not it. All about character.

After Stonetown we went to Pongwe Beach Resort. It was, in a word, perfect. Period. If you like beaches, food, chilling out, and relaxation, this is your place. There were only ~15 little beach bungalows and a great main gathering area. Also an extremely good, private beach. Not covered with vendors and seaweed like other beaches in Zanzibar. I'd put it up against any other place in Zanzibar. Only downside is saltwater showers. You may not enjoy sitting on a plane for 2 days beging covered with salt... but whatever, it was perfect.

Some good tips from me:
1. Take a DSLR camera with a good zoom lens. I also had a standard lens for landscapes, but took 80% of my pics with the zoom. I'm glad I had both. DSLR's can shoot action and sport mode and get you the shot you want. I'm not even a photographer, but I borrowed a camera from someone who is into it. I ended up taking 3500 pictures and have never been more passionate about taking pictures. It was intoxicating. Some people on safari had simple compact point and shoot cameras and I felt sorry for them. This a LONG way to go and a lot of money to spend on a trip. You're gonna want a good picture.
2. Take more cash than you think you need. But keep it close by. You may not have a lock on your door, so just keep your cash on you.
3. If you get car sick, or just bored of driving, break it up. 9 days of safari is a long time. Taking a day off, or going to Hells Gate to go hiking doesn't mean you're weak, it just means you'd like a break. Also, I'd recommend staying at most parks more than 1 night. It's nice to be able to relax and feel at home for a little while.
4. Don't worry about food safety. We felt more sick from food back home in the US when we returned. The lodge environment is pretty well-controlled. I travel overseas for work in Asia, and the exposure to food poisoning is WAY worse in China than in these lodges/camps.
5. Don't hesitate to make changes to any itinerary Freddy suggests. It's custom. Just go for it.

So, a long review. Hope it was helpful. I highly recommend going with Freddy. You'll get whatever you ask for. Just make sure to ask for the good stuff! Do your research and ask to see what you want to see. Every personality will want something different, so let Freddy know what you enjoy and go enjoy it.

-Paul Van Gasse, Portland OR, USA