“Hideous hideous hideous…….”

Sai Rock Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #42 of 61 Hotels in Mombasa
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Hideous hideous hideous…….

Booked through a travel agent and stayed at the apartments.

Luckily I lived in Kenya for 7 years so my expatiations and standards prepared me. Great location, but the rooms, sheets, towels etc are old and dirty.

Had an incident with the reception who were just plan rude and its sad when the security guards seem to think they have power and harm a brand, they are rude and out of control.

1time, a South African airline commence flights direct between Johannesburg and Mombasa and of you looking for accommodation do not stay at the Sai Rock Hotel.

Walking up and down the beach most days the other hotels had fair business, at the Sai Rock the place was dead except for a conference.

Interesting if you go onto the Pride Inn website they do not even mention Sai Rock Mombasa, looks like they too are embarrassed by this awful place being associated with their brand.

Only plus are the general staff who were friendly and did their best.

Kenya and Mombasa have so much to offer and yet these types of accommodation go far in letting the Kenyan brand down…. SAD

Room Tip: Do not pay until you have checked your rooms and you are happy.....
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wayne H
Eugen T, Manager at Sai Rock Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

We wish to thank you for the honest and very open remarks. Prideinn Hotels and Management took this comments very seriously and we assure you that our current standards are far much better than what you experienced.
Prideinn Hotel has improved in all aspects and we now ensure that clients who complained should come back to the hotel and get a feel of the new Prideinn Sairock Beach hotel and Spa where we let our service speak for its self.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

I will be frank and fair. I have to declare that I have stayed at Sai Rock in the past when it was managed by the owner and loved it. But it seems with the new Pride Inn management all has gone down the drain. Its like pride inn without pride.

From outright staff who seem either incompetent or thoroughly demotivated to buildings that show signs of lack of maintenance. Poor selection of food, unkept gardens and water sports centre, safes the rooms that are not working, damages wcs, tv that has only one channel - citizen. All the signs of terrible and up hazard cost cutting not cost control.

At this rate, Sai Rock, in a few months would just be nothing but a highly priced damp. Very poor value for money. For the same amount, you can get better value at Mombasa Beach Hotel and for a few more dollars get amazing value at Voyager. I have been a repeat customer many times over but I'm now voting with my feet until Sai Rock gets its act together.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank M-for-mbevi
Eugen T, Manager at Sai Rock Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Prideinn Sairock beach hotel just like any organization faced challenges in the beginning especially in 2011 but we are glad to tell all out clients that Prideinn Sairock Beach hotel and Spa as of 2012 has undertaken the following measures which have ensured that clients enjoy the warm sandy beaches of Mombasa at very attractive rates.
Prideinn Hotel Management has employed qualified and well trained staff who now work with the aim of ensuring guests is completely satisfied. As you may have realized the number of complaints have significantly gone down while the number of guest arrivals has significantly increased.
It is understandable that you may have received poor service but we take this time to welcome you back to visit our hotel and we promise to keep our Pride High this time around.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

we visited around June, right before the peak season. The food was great! love the fact that I could just walk out into the beach whenever i wanted never mind that they already have swimming pools.

The AC in my room was broken so the heat was almost unbearable.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Winki C
Reviewed October 3, 2011

rude receptionists.....they actually forgot to pick us at the airport (can u blv this!!!!)2nd we had to change room twice cause the two rooms were unmaintained 3rd their barman wouldn`t a martini cocktail for me....for the 2 nights i spent there was so disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alice w
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I went to this hotel to ask for the rooms, and my husband stayed in car with our son, because iam local, the security blocked me off and said i was not allowed in, when i asked why, he said, they dont entertain local ladies, i told him...i was there with my husband and, iam a woman...who is married...( until i said to a white man) then he said that fine then..i was very upset...when i asked at the reception for the room, they told me..there are no rooms...when i asked another person, she said, yes they have lots of rooms but they wont let me pay for it since i was black lady...i understand maybe they have problems with girls a bout..but i dont think, that was the way to tackle the situation.when my husband went to ask for the room, they said yes..he told them, just what he thought of them, speak of being discriminated in your onw country with your own peopl...

Room Tip: They are rude and they discriminate local residents.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank spaintracyp
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I stayed here for business and often enough work picks a good place for us. Unfortunately, this hotel isn't below par when it comes to certain things. I do understand it's a developing country, but after talking to the locals here - this place is a ripoff. I didnt have sheets on my first night and just slept over the bed cover.

They charge $300 shillings for internet when the website states $200 - so the hotel like to skim off the top. But that's even if you get an access code to get on the internet. The chances are low when it's the beginning of the week. Also you have to stay in the lobby on the gross stinky sofas to surf the web. There's no internet access in your rooms!!

The wait staff are friendly however they never remember if you paid them. I had 2 wait staff people harass me about services I already paid for the NEXT DAY!

There's construction going on in the main part of the hotel so be prepared to be woken up at 7 AM.

The food is awesome though - they have a real chinese chef in the back and so dinner was totally worth it. If I come back, I would not stay here though....There are too many complications on top of traveling in the developing country - there's no need to over complicate arrangements with a crappy hotel.

Room Tip: Go to white sand hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank global_trekkerNYC
Reviewed December 23, 2010

For Holiday makers,- Sairock Hotel will be one of most wonderful and relaxing place to be.
Just to mention a few, their buffet had a rich delicious menu,rooms well cleaned,garden perfectly done. On health and fitness -the gym,sauna, steam bath was perfect. Swimming pool was well cleaned with a full time pool attendant.On the kids area,Sairock kept kids into consideration- (Where a bouncing castle is-kids wouldn't like to live that area).

For Conference Facilities- I saw their conference facility which can fit more than 800 guest.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you to the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business