“Hidden Gem for a Tourist”
Review of Tamarind Mombasa

Tamarind Mombasa
Ranked #2 of 133 Restaurants in Mombasa
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Hidden Gem for a Tourist”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Located on the coast of Mombasa, Tamarind is the most incredible restaurant on this planet. I’ve been to the restaurant about six times, even though I’ve only vacationed in Kenya twice. The quality of the food makes it difficult to “try something else” when you’ve traveled across the world looking for the best experience. It’s a MUST visit! And I definitely recommend the whole steamed crab ... never have I had such high quality seafood. Oh, and there’s even a Casino upstairs for anyone looking for entertainment after dinner.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Restaurant”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Overrated and tired.
Only for the "tourist" scene.
Needs to revamp.
Used to be one of the finest in Mombasa, No longer, sadly.
I am sure they will come good in time , though.

Visited August 2013
Somerset West, South Africa
“My favourite in Mombasa!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The bonus for having to go over to Mombasa for business is that I know for sure that I can count on a lovely meal (or two) at the Tamarind.
I'm suprised to see some negative recent comments on TA, I have been going to Tamarind for over 10 years and have not once been disappointed, always had awesome food in the most amazing setting. I even dare to say that this is where I had the best sea food in Eastern Africa, I can't wait to go back!

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent seafood”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Tamarind restaurant has a well deserved reputation. Its seafood dishes are excellent. It has a great atmosphere, helped by its half-outdoors, waterfront site which overlooks the old town from across the water. Service was good. Price was definitely high for Mombasa, but not unfairly so, and still cheaper than most comparable European restaurants. Would definitely recommend as a "splurge" meal!

• Visited June 2013
Aalter, Belgium
“Old Glory”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

In January I held my birthday party at the Tamarind in Mombasa.My daughter Ann who lives in Kenia suggested this restaurant.
The location is spectacular.
Living in Belgium which is a gastronomic paradise,our expectations were not high alas the best I can say bout the meal was mediocre and that is being generous.
The wine list was poor and the service slow,even Henry our Kenian friend complained about the food.

• Visited January 2013