Our experience with Porini was so fantastic, I don’t know where to start with my review. Camping with Porini was an adventure I will never forget. The guides Jackson and Ketere are wildlife fanatics and went to great lengths to ensure our game drives were catered exactly to our requirements. It was up to us to decide on early starts, full day drives and/or night time drives. They had the knowledge and the experience to answer all our questions/observations (and more!) and their hospitality during our picnics and sundowners in the Masai was simply divine. They would spot wildlife that I could barely see via my binoculars and then transport us to where the excitement was at. We saw countless Cheetahs and Lions - certainly the Porini camp has all the big cats -we even saw a Cervat Cat which apparently is a rare sighting and we also two leopards! Other people who stayed at the camp had different experiences - we didn't see a black rhino but others who stayed there were lucky enough to sight one. This is what makes it so exciting - you never really know what your day will entail.
With regards to the camp, it’s clean, comfortable and the staff go out on a limb to make sure your stay is perfect. The chef cooks superb fresh food and during our stay, my wife had her 33rd birthday whereby the chef made her a cake and the Masai warriors displayed their Adumu dance whilst singing their harmonies.
The tents provide 5 star accommodation whilst giving you the experience of being in the bush. The first night we had hippos and elephants grazing near our tent and could hear the roaring of lions in the distance. A night we will never forget. There are armed guards on duty all night and guests safety is never a problem. Don’t let this put you off!
The wake up calls by the masai hosts each morning is another example of the thought and care which has gone into the customer service at that camp - inclusive with a delivery of fresh filtered coffee and home made biscuits to our tent. A delicious breakfast was either had in the dinning area our out on the Mara. Lunch and drinks were provided throughout the day and the evening we were fed a delicious 3 course meal with unlimited wine. A guard would walk us to our tent and secure us safely inside where we’d find a snug hot water bottle under our sheets.
The jeeps are kitted out with electrical points to charge your phones, camera, ipad etc. They also pack hand sanitizer gel, wipes and blankets. In fact, if Porini could think of anything else to make your stay with them more comfortable or enjoyable, they’d do it but it appears Jake Grieves-Cook (MD and in my opinion, entrepreneur) has everything down to perfection.
During our stay, it was our choice to visit a Masai village but we were very suspicious of it's authenticity. We were also required to pay the chief $20 each. On reflection, I'd advise advise others to miss this part of the experience.
If you’re going to splash out some money on a safari - then this is the place to stay and experience the environment under the best possible circumstances. The service was excellent and we are sure you will not be disappointed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porini Lion Camp is located in the exclusive 20,000 acre Olare Orok Conservancy bordering the Maasai Mara Game Reserve, home to an abundance of animals. With 10 spacious comfortably furnished tents, each with private verandahs and en-suite bathrooms, the camp is small and exclusive giving a real bush experience. Guests enjoy the game drives in open 4x4's, escorted bush walks with Maasai warriors and sundowners. The Camp is the perfect base to experience the annual wildebeest migration. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Porini Lion Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porini Lion Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Porini Lion Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve