We stayed at the camp for 3 nights as the 2nd part of a 5 day safari and it was a wonderful experience, made all the better by the wonderful staff.
We had previously stayed at a sister camp in Sambura so we knew what to expect of the room facilities , this camp was a little better as its more ‘permanent’ the bathroom was ‘brick built’ on the back on the tent, so was a little less noisy when the wind blew!
You will get all you would expect from a nice hotel really with bathroom toiletries and little hot water bottles in your bed each evening. There is plenty of hot water for showering and somewhere to plug your phone in to charge etc. it’s a fair sized camp so I didn’t see all the tents but we had one over looking the river which was great to watch the animals wandering by on the other side of the bank etc.
The sleep quality can be a bit hit and miss as you may get the odd elephant or baboon making some noise! But you have to expect that really!
The food was really good and they do make you feel like they are preparing it especially for you, George looked after so well and even tried to teach us some Swahili (he didn’t succeed…..sorry George!) We were given a warm welcome each evening in the bar by Peter or Bernard (hope you enjoyed the wine Peter!) There is a good choice of wines and spirits considering the location.
David the head of security will keep you safe in your bed each evening, we spent 3 lovely evenings sitting around the fire he made for us with a nice drink and some lovely conversation, and then William would walk us back to our tent. All in all excellent facilities.
The game drives were amazing……and we saw just about everything you could want to….... but I have to say I think was all down to our magnificent guide Dee who is one of the most talented, intelligent and funny people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. His laugh is so infectious, and he laughs A LOT! He will make your game drive sooooo exciting, every day he asked what I would like to see , then deliver it in about 15 minutes....such talent (never did find the aardvark though Dee ). He made the drives so exciting taking us to some fantastic places, like the hippo pool where we sat at the side of the river on a log and watched them play, pride of lions sleeping in the sun or a huge male lion that we were so close too you could almost smell his breath, or a leopard walking round so close the truck you could almost touch him.
The trucks are excellent and are really open and spacious much better than some of the other ones we saw on our travels which looked very tightly packed and hot!
All in all we were very pleased with our choice and would have happily have stayed for longer if we hadn’t have had a flight to catch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This uniquely situated luxury camp on the banks of the Talek River overlooks the mottled plains of the Maasai Mara, where vast herds of wildlife co-exist with the colourful Maasai people. Between June and October the Maasai Mara plays host to one of the most spectacular wildlife shows on earth the great annual migration of over a million wildebeest and zebra as they enter the Mara ecosystem from Serengeti in neighbouring Tanzania. Tipilikwani's tents enjoy river frontage and are decorated with warm, rich Maasai colours. The family tents have a stand alone bath tub in addition to showers. Excellent food, personalised service and traditional Kenyan hospitality further compliment the prime location. Game drives offer the unforgettable opportunity to enjoy the diversity of animals and birds living permanently in the Masai Mara, as well as many migratory species. Guests can also learn more about the Masai people, proud pastoralists and warriors, many of whom still retain their traditional nomadic lifestyle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Tipilikwani Mara Camp - Masai Mara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tipilikwani Masai Mara Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Tipilikwani Mara Camp - Masai Mara Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve