“If we could give a six we would!”
Review of Mara Bushtops

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mara Bushtops
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Complete perfection - a truly exceptional experience and probably the best place we have ever stayed. Manages to be incredibly comfortable while unmistakably a true safari experience, with wild animals never far away and great views of the landscape and it's inhabitants. The service, from reception to the restaurant to the in-room butler was just outstanding - great touches such as running the hot tub so it's ready for when you return from safari and hot water bottles when you get into bed at night (it can get chilly). Food is excellent, both in the restaurant and the superb packed lunches and breakfasts provided for game drives.

Best bit of all though were the game drives. Our guide Nicholas and Masai 'spotter' Daniel were just brilliant and knew the reserve and it's inhabitants like the back of their hand - while they are clear there are no guarantees, we saw all the big five in one morning! There are real benefits to being on a separate conservancy - you can do night drives and there are no other cars. But it's only 30 mins drive to the national park itself. The land cruiser they use is much better than the minivans most other safari companies offer, and provides great views and picture opportunities.

The camp was running at very low occupancy when we were there - perhaps the problems in other parts of Kenya are putting people off. That's a real shame - this is a unique and very special experience, not cheap but worth every penny, and we would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NushNushandBooBoo

Reviewed June 28, 2014

The beginning of our honeymoon and could well have been the highlight. We were the only people in the camp for various reasons, which only added to the feeling of exclusivity. The tents are beautifully presented, clean, well maintained and a mix of modern and intrepid explorer. The views are unbelievable and straight into the sunrise, which are a great start to a day of game driving. There is just nothing the staff won't do to make you feel special, from massages, hot tubs, remembering your favourite drinks the list goes on. The layout of the camp is superb, with nothing too far away from anything else (restaurant, pool etc) but still manages to feel very private. The Mara Bushtops has two special unique points that really make it sell out. First is the natural salt lick that is by the restaurant and the evening camp fire. Lunch out on the grass watching animals grazing, or evenings by the camp fire watching for the night visitors, it is a truly unique experience. The second is that the camp is on a private game reserve just on the outside of the Masai Mara. This does mean a 25 min or so drive to the reserve each day, but most of that is through the private game reserve anyway so offers plenty of viewing opps. The great benefit is that you can go on evening game drives which is prohibited in the main reserves. This meant one evening we were able to have sunset cocktails in the bush, watching the sunset in front of a campfire, and then went off on a nightime game drive. The whole experience was truly wonderful. Special thanks to Nicholas and James our driver and spotter, they were great. And also worth mentioning is that the trucks used by the Bushtops camps are pretty much the best out there. It means you can access any terrain, which we noticed many other camps could not as their trucks were more basic. And they are also very comfortable and open sided which we felt was crucial so you didn't even feel like you were spending all day in a 'car'.
Finally just to mention the food. The choice is great for up to a week, and there are plenty of luxury items including fillet steak etc. The only thing that was not totally flawless on the whole visit was that the Béarnaise sauce was split each day we had it, as was the hollandaise for our Eggs Benedict in the mornings. But the small nature one slight negative of this shows just how perfect the stay was overall.
I cannot recommend this camp highly enough, and one day we hope to be back. (Maybe when the new spa has been completed!!)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank craftyninja1
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Incredible family holiday in the Mara at Bushtops ! Alex & his magical team are super efficient . Peter & Senna provided us with unbelievable opportunities to view the animals at almost touching distance. The magic of Africa ensconed in the luxury of Bushtops ..... Beyond Awesome.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JEFFREY P
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We spent four amazing days and nights at Mara Bushtops. It is called Wild Luxury for good reason. The service was exceptional and the facilities from the tent with jacuzzi to the restaurant overlooking the wildlife watering hole could not be faulted. The food was exceptional. The safari vehicle provided every comfort and the romantic private lunches for two in the Masai Mara made for a memorable experience.
Above all the staff made every effort to make our honeymoon perfect.

Room Tip: This is a boutique hotel and all the rooms are privately located and have great views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Just left mara Bushtops after 4 amazing days, the experience was truly magical. The staff are amazing both with such knowledge and care to make our few days (4 is not enough!!) truly special. Alfred and Joseph made our safaris very special and Lucy ensured nothing went amiss in the tent - tent is certainly a modest description !! It's been a very special few days, and we have already looked at dates to come back - can't be faulted, thanks to all.

Room Tip: We were in Jackal, but they all look fantastic
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Amazing holiday! I spent time at both the Mara Bushtops and Serengeti Bushtops and both were equally spectacular. What made the stay a Mara so special was the staff. I travelled alone and not once did I feel alone. Everyone made me feel like a special guest or friend. The food was amazing, I could not believe that this quality of food was available nor did I expect such beautiful accommodation.

The animal experiences were incredible and I saw things that I never expected to see - including black rhino, a cheetah preparing to hunt, lion cubs and so much more. I have had many safari holidays and my time here and at the sister camp were unsurpassed.

Every meal time the staff would come and talk to me, try and teach me Swahili (I was a very bad student), talk to me about my day and make sure everything was taken care of. They were so incredibly friendly.

A standout for me was having Daniel as my Field Guide - what a lovely man and so knowledgeable. There was not a thing that I asked that he could not answer and I so enjoyed our drinks at the end of the day where we talked and planned what we would do the next day. He managed to provide me with so many brilliant experiences and I saw so much - things I never expected I would get to see. Seeing four Black Rhino on the plains was an experience I will never forget. Stanley also was our eagle eyed Spotter - the man managed to find a leopard miles away, hiding in a tree, behind branches. All this without binoculars and while the rest of us were just trying to find the tree he was pointing at. Brilliant!

There is a lot of history at this camp and it is worthwhile reading the books available and asking about the family that lived there many years ago. I was told the most amazing stories.

You could not ask for a better location - it is outside the Maasai Mara park but only by about 10 minutes and being on its own Conservation you can have night drives which were great and sundowners which are really worth doing at least once. At the time I was there, there was a male lion patrolling his territory each night, giraffes in front of the rooms, elephants roaming around and all sorts of animals at the salt lick in front of restaurant - brilliant!

Thank you so much to Alex who provided many great conversations, Daniel who really is the most amazing person to show you the Maasai Mara (can not come back Daniel without having you taking me around), Stanley - who was just gorgeous and has eyesight that most of us would kill for and the restaurant staff who made sure I had as much wine as I needed and made sure I ate way more than I needed but it was completely worth it. I truly cannot wait to come back.

Room Tip: All rooms seems to be very good. I was in the Impala room which was close to the reception area and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank VJ313
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband, son and I have just returned from spending three nights at Mara Bushtops. There are not enough superlatives to describe this amazing place with its amazingly friendly and attentive staff.

We arrived to an incredibly warm and friendly welcome and even though we were later than expected, Alex and his team immediately made us feel like the most special guests they had ever looked after. We were given a welcome drink and were introduced to our wonderful safari guide Daniel, who is the consummate professional. He was keen to tailor-make our safari experience and drew up our personal itininary. His knowledge on wildlife and the Mara proved to be outstanding.

We were absolutely speechless when we walked into the Leopard Suite, where we were to be staying. With its breathtaking views, palatial interior, and such attention to detail, our eyes flitted from one exquisite delight to another, hardly believing what we were experiencing, we giggled like school children.

After a stunning lunch, with equally stunning service, we very excitedly climbed aboard the rather splendid vehicle, to go on our first safari. Our beautiful Masai guide Senna joined us and our adventure began, and my goodness what an adventure we had.

Bushtops has exceeded all our expectations. From rosebuds in the hot-tub, hot water bottles in our bed and chocolates on the pillow each night, total privacy, five star luxury service, complimentary massages, the security of 24 hour service and knowing that Masai were guarding our tent each night, to the experience of seeing the wildlife, witnessing the amazing skill of the Masai and coming so close to the magnificence, that is, The Masai Mara, this was indeed the holiday of a life-time. Oh, and there’s the delicious food ............ Enough said!

Room Tip: The Leopard Suite is amazing, but all the tents are special
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family