“You'd never know it was outside the reserve” 4 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp

andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
Nairobi, Kenya
“You'd never know it was outside the reserve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Having lived in Zambia for several years, frequently visiting South Luangwa National Park, this was my first trip to the Maasai Mara and while the knowledge and friendliness of the guides was not quite up to Zambian standards, the overall level of service was very good. The location is excellent, being just outside the reserve boundary but so close you'd never know the difference. Unless you're lucky enough to get one of the nearest tents the walk to the room can seem a little long, especially when it's raining, and the food choice was somewhat limited, but overall I would recommend it and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pete H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I visited the Mara as part of an Incentive group from Tata India .The event was organized by the incentives coordinate Jomandie Dempers from andbeyond. I had three most amazing days. We ballooned, breakfast, lunched, dinner under the stars, it was unforgettable. The arrangements were state of the art. The hospitality was heart melting. The complete experience was like a dream come true. One cannot ask for more from this. The incentive coordinators Jomandie and Magdelle were like magicians. You ask anything and they pulled it from their magic hat. They were always approachable 24x7. Every detail was well sorted. Be it wine , dine or game drives. I strongly recommend Jomandie Dempers for any safari experiences. I am trying to engage them in a safari in India too and recommended to many corporate event organizers. One of the best experience of my life.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank vikram04g
bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We booked this safari using Julius at www.julius-safaris.com has office in Diani Beach area 3rd time of using and he has never disappointed us.You pay deposit and the rest on return from trip that is honesty for you.
Kichwa Tembo tented camp is the most amazing experience ever,we were picked up by Sammi our driver for our stay and what a lovely,funny and knowledgable man he tried to make sure we see all the big 5 and much more and such a brilliant sense of humour.On arrival at the camp we were greeted by Esther this lady never seems to stop working to make your stay an enjoyable one,Henry was our tent butler he kept it immaculately clean and tidy and was there with our tea and coffee early morning wake up every day,Thorne was our main waiter and would run around tireless for anything we wanted,Chef John well what can i say fine dining is an understatement it was cooked fresh it was so tasty ,and when my son ask if there was any of the pudding left from day before and there wasnt ,the following day he had made him one specially,i can honestly say say that i enjoy everymeal there,this was a trip to celebrate my 60th birthday and my sons 40th and on our last evening the amazing Esther surprised us with a petal cover table and masai warriors came out chanting with a cake for us i was in tears that someone had gone to that trouble,there is work going on at moment they are upgrading some of the tents but the noise was minimal and caused no problem to us at all,So from me and my family to my family at Kichwa thank you so much for the most amazing birthday.I didnt want to leave

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank susan k
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Had the pleasure of staying at Kichwa Tembo at the start of Feb 2014.
It was perfect, from start to end. Firstly, our guide Sammie was fabulous. Very knowledgeable, funny and personable. We were lucky enough to pretty much have him to ourselves the whole time we were there. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he is a wonderful asset to the company. We were very lucky to see so much, it was a real privilege to see the animals in their natural habitat. The tent was great, very comfy bed, and shower and loo facilities. We were placed on the left side of camp, with the small river running behind. It was fabulous to lie in bed at night and listen to the hippos and lions. The small touches, like notes on our bed and the hot water bottles left by Henry, our room butler, were lovely. The food prepared by Chef Jon and Owen, fresh, each day was wonderful and I would highly recommend you indulge. The food was plentiful and we were very well looked after by our waiter, Thorne, the whole time. The camp manager is a lovely lady called Esther. She went out of her way, at all times, to make us feel like we had just returned home and that we were comfortable and spoilt. Overall, a wonderful experience. Asante Sana.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PhillipaPearce
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I recently visited the Masi Mara and this was our forst experience in Africa and with tenting. The accommodation was good and the food reasonable. THe location of the lodge within the reserve is excellent and you are up front and personal with all the animals. THe staff were excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Safwa, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I am a returning guest to KT, I understand that they are currently going through a total renovation for the whole camp, so my review will be as per the other things I've seen and which I liked even better than the first time I was there which was in August 2012. The staff is just super super friendly without any exception, "welcoming you home" is the first thing you will get, a nice gesture! Although I was so reluctant to visit during this time of the year being low season and all, but just don't be fooled, business in the wild is as usual!! except you don't get to see wildebeests all over, which is even better, you get to see predators searching for food all the time, we saw just right in front of the camp two lionesses attempting to hunt three time in one game drive, we didn't even need to go inside the reserve, just hang around the camp on the first game drive, just so many game and animals like you can never imagine, specially if you are there for the first time!

Now, again that I know this is a temporary main area for the camp, it was still very nice, one of the managers there, James even took me in a small tour around the new camp while its being built, showed me what is going and it all seemed to even get better by the time they open the new place in June/July 2014.

Kipiko (or James), our guide was super wonderful, and I am saying while I've been with tens of other guides in many previous game drives in both South Africa and Kenya! All I wanted was a guide who really loved what he was doing and so knowledgeable and not someone who would make you feel he's bored and only doing it for the money, James was the one, really loved being out there with him and how keen he was tracking animals.

KT would surely be one of first choice while I am planning to go back again during the migration season.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Mohammed A
Rockville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recently stayed for 2 nights with my husband and other friends and family members. I have to say I have mixed feelings about Kichwa Tembo. I was a bit sad to find out the pool was closed for renovation.

First the positive things:
I loved the tents and overall ambiance of the place. This makes for an authentic experience at the Masai Mara.
The night drives and guides and vehicles were absolutely amazing.
The room attendant was very helpful and had very nice touches added every evening.

What I liked less:
The bossy attitude of some of the reception staff and massage lady.
The lack of variety in the meals, especially for myself as a vegetarian. I ate the same food both evenings.
The way our wonderful driver guides are treated here, as if they are not important and welcome.

I would consider staying here again due to the ambiance and tents and for the possibility of going on an evening safari as this is one of the only places where it can be done.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends