We recently stayed at the &Beyond Kichwa Tembo tented camp. Having stayed at an &Beyond property in South Africa previously, we were comfortable with the &Beyond brand and had such a good time previously that we did not consider any other companies.
We camp itself is large, with around 40+ tents. "Tents" is a misleading description for the accommodations, as aside from the "tent" structure, everything inside was like real lodging - from the fully functioning toilet, to the shower with lots of water, to the excellent toiletries, and the king size comfortable bed. There was plenty of closet space as well. We stayed in a luxury tent, which included power outlets. It was a 5-7 minute walk to the main dining area. However, considering this is pretty much your only exercise while on safari (it's not like you're out walking in the bush with the animals), we didn't mind at all. From our porch, we could see hippos, elephants and zebras grazing just past the camp's fence.
The food was very good. At breakfast and lunch, it was buffet style, with plenty of selection and a mix of protein, veggies, fruit, dessert, etc. Each table had a butler who took care of your drinks, etc. At dinner, the salad course was buffet, but the main course was served by your butler. I was unsure as to how the food would be as it's hard to do buffet style well, but the food surpassed my expectations. The nightly soups were particularly delightful.
Finally, and most importantly. . . the game drives. We had an excellent guide named Benedict. He was excellent at spotting animals and answered questions patiently. Although the migration moved early this year, we did 2 daylong safaris to the border with safari. During our four days on safari, we saw the big 5, plus cheetahs with freshly caught prey, hyenas with pups, two separate lionesses with 4-6 cubs each and lions and freshly caught prey. We also saw a leopard hunt a meerkat! In addition, we saw TWO river crossings, which was exceptional given that there were only a few thousand wildebeest left.
While you may not get the same level of luxury / service as some other smaller &Beyond camps, Kichwa Tembo still deserves 5 stars. The level of service was excellent, and its location in proximity to the migration is unsurpassed. The guides are excellent and will get you to see the most exceptional animals. I would recommend this camp without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- AndBeyond Kichwa Tembo Masai Mara Tented Camp is set on a private wilderness concession leased from Maasai landlords in the legendary Masai Mara. Situated where forest and savanna meet, these elegant, spacious safari tents boast some of the most magnificent views of the Masai Mara, especially from the large swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kichwa Tembo Tented Safari Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- AndBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve