andBeyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
Amani Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$690
$658
  • Breakfast included
Olarro(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,370
$1,181
Little Governors' Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$864
  • Restaurant
Mara Serena Safari Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$559
  • Breakfast included
Mara Engai Wilderness Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,543
$1,397
  • Breakfast included
Keekorok Lodge-Sun Africa Hotels(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$426
$348
  • Breakfast included
Neptune Mara Rianta Luxury Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$998
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Entumoto Safari Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$603
  • Breakfast included
Mara Leisure Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$277
Travelocity
$2,119
All reviewssuperior viewchef georgeresident warthogsgame drivesprivate airstripmorning wake up callrose petalsinfinity poololoololo gatemara triangleour waiterhot water bottlessouth africagreat migrationblack rhinoeach morningsafari experience
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A wonderful experience from the moment I was picked up from the airstrip greeted with tea or coffee a selection of cookies and nuts before being driven to Kichwa. I was greeted by very friendly and helpful staff and shown to my tented accommodation, which was very clean and comfortable with a lovely powerful shower.My first game drive was the same afternoon I arrived. A big thank you to Benson the guide/driver who went out of his way for me to see as much as possible and I managed to see the big 5 and more. I was looked after by Simon who supplied tea & cookies every morning before the game drives.Kichwa Tembo was a wonderful experience with fabulous friendly staff, excellent accommodation,food and in a beautiful setting.Experience that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Rosemary L
Reviewed February 4, 2013

After having read the recent reviews of this resort, I had to wonder if we stayed at the same place. We just returned from a two week safari in Kenya and Kichwa was the 3rd tented camp on our journey. In no way was it better or even up to par with any of the prior three or one later on this trip. Our arrival was met with nonchalance by the staff, totally different from our other experiences. Our tent was ok but nothing special and there were no electric outlets to charge our cameras. In addition, we were placed in a room with twin beds instead of a double as we had requested. The lighting was so dim that reading was impossible. The bathroom included a very nice open marble shower. It gave a touch of luxury until the shower was actually turned on and the large but quite dated shower head threw water over about a third of the bathroom floor and required a couple of towels to clean up.

The staff was not unfriendly, but provided nowhere near the hospitality that we had become accustomed to at previous camps. One nice touch was free use of a computer. However, the internet network was down and no one knew how to fix it or even seemed to care. We were told to “come back later and maybe it will work then”. It never did.

There were warthogs running all over the grounds which I guess was cute, until you had to walk through their droppings on the way to the meals which were served outside on the lawn. The food at all the meals was very good, and for a change even the water was included.

The reception/gift shop area had a charming feel. Also, the grounds and the pool area were also very attractive. There were hammocks on the grounds just outside the tents which also was a nice touch. Finally, the views from the grounds of the resort over the savannah were great and it was possible to see a lot of wildlife from the tent area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mwcw
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We booked a 4 day/3 night trip with &Beyond for our family of 5. We arrived in Nairobi from Dubai and were greeted at the airport and taken to the Norfolk for one night. The next morning, a driver picked us up and took us to the Wilson Airport for our 50 minute plane ride to the Kichwa Tembo airstrip. Our fantastic guide, Daniel, met us at the airstrip and our safari experience began! It is just a short drive to the camp, but it was really our first game drive. We saw at least a dozen animals along the way. The camp was perfect for a safari experience. There were warthogs, mongooses and monkeys all over the camp. The tents are clean and the beds are very comfortable. We paid extra to have electricity in our tents (I wanted to be able to dry my hair) but, if you didn't they had a charging station in the bar and hairdryers in the restroom by the bar. The food was good and the staff was fantastic! Everyone is very friendly and they make you feel very welcome. They were not busy when we were there (Jan 9-12) so we were the only 5 in the vehicle for all of our game drives. The game drives were unbelievable and Daniel was our guide for all of them. Daniel was so knowledgeable and made the experience all the more memorable. We also did a balloon safari one morning that included breakfast on the Masai Mara. Great fun! This was our first safari, so I can't compare this camp to others, but I loved the entire experience and would recommend &Beyond to anyone!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 1happytraveller222
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our family of 5 (3 generations) treated ourselves to a 3-day break at Kichwa Tembo camp, flying from Malindi. We had been to the Mara many times before, and this trip was as good, if not better, than any. To reiterate a previous reviewer, the staff were exceptionally good - without exception. They were professional, friendly, courteous and made us all feel special and welcome. Our game guide - a young lady - was impressive: so knowledgeable and aware of our interests, and she drove brilliantly, manoeuvering a heavy land rover in thick black cotton mud! The food at the camp was the best we have ever eaten at a safari lodge in Africa, and way exceeded our expectations. The attractive swimming pool is beautifully situated and was enjoyed by the children. We also saw a delightful amount of game, including a pair of rare wild dogs hunting, so we were thrilled! All in all, we would happily return to Kichwa Tembo when we next visit the Mara.

Room Tip: The first set of standard tents (1 - 13) are on an open field nearest the pool and dining area. This is especially convenient for children or elder people. However, the luxury tents are more isolated and private.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Helen I
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have spent a good deal of my life in Africa, having lived in Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia, and as a result been on countless safaris with numerous lodges in these countries. One thing I can say about my experience at kichwa tembo is that you will never come across staff as courteous, welcoming and helpful as those at kichwa. We were there for 4 days and enjoyed every moment. The tents are wonderful, I would recommend going for the luxury tents vs the classic ones as there are no plug points in the classic one (you have to go to the lounge to charge your things) and the toilet and shower are separate in the luxury tents. The food was so delicious, usually buffet. The views are amazing (although I've stayed in lodges with much better views - you can't have everything!) if you're looking for a personalised experience with GREAT service I would highly recommend kichwa tembo. I cannot stress how superb the staff are! And our safari guide was probably the best guide we've ever had in the 12 years we've lived in Africa.

Room Tip: I would recommend the luxury tents, they're more convenient.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family