Little Governor's Camp was a perfect start for our two-week safari through Kenya and Tanzania. We'd read all the glowing reviews online before arriving, but the experience of being there actually surpassed them all. Our tent was warm and inviting, the meals delicious, and the service outstanding. Everyone gave us such a warm, personal welcome. At breakfast and lunch we overlooked the watering hole, dinner was waiter service by candlelight. A hot-water bottle beneath the sheets came with the evening turndown service, and tea and a biscuit arrived as part of our morning wake-up call.
The game drives were excellent and our driver, Leonard, made every effort to bring us a unique experience each day. Just being on the sweeping plains of the Masai Mara was a treat, but of course, the real draw is the wildlife. Among the highlights were watching a pride of lions on a fresh buffalo kill. One even carried her weeks-old cub over to learn the proceedings, placing him at her feet while she ate her fill. When the lionesses finished, over a dozen hyenas swooped in. When they were done, the vultures arrived. Then came the jackals. And then the King himself, the male lion, who chased everything else away.
Another highlight was the bird walk around the camp with David -- we saw over 100 species of birds in less than an hour. And the day Blossom the elephant decided to stop by for breakfast will not soon be forgotten! Check the photos!
We highly recommend the visit to the Masai village and wish we'd had time for a walking safari. This is a company that knows how to do it right.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a forest in the heart of the Masai Mara, Little Governors' is intimate in character. The luxury en-suite tents are tucked around a large water-hole clearing that teems with life. Beyond, lie the grasslands of the Masai Mara and the deep blue Olololo Ridge Escarpment. Arriving in Camp is an adventure, leaving your vehicle behind you cross the Mara River by boat and are escorted on foot through the forest to the camp. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Little Governors' Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Little Governors` Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Little Governors' Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve