We were to spend 5 nights at Little Governors and from the moment we landed from Loldia by plane, our feet never touched the ground. Julius, our driver, greeted us from the plane and said we were off on safari ! My wife and I had never been before and what an introduction!
We were treated to lions, zebras, giraffes and elephants and I really felt like I was in a BBC documentary!
Julius is a great guide and has worked there 10 years so knows all the nooks and crannies of the Mara, as Im sure all the drivers do.
At LG we were escorted to tent 17, which we requested having read other Tripadvisor reports. To be fair all the tents are of an exceptional standard – it really depends on a) how far you’re prepared to walk and b) do you want peace and quiet as some are quite close to the restaurant and bar areas. But that does have its advantage especially when the animals walk through the camp, at least you’re nearby to see them.
I had a trap camera so was able to record what passed by our tent at night. You hear many sounds, which I did find rather therapeutic tbh except the trumpeting elephant at 4.00am! That woke me up bolt upright! Anyway, walking passed our tent most nights were munching hippos, the odd buffalo, a marsh mongoose and a leopard !
The rangers are always on hand and we never once felt unsafe, even when we saw two lion cubs in the field to the left of our tent.
Every morning your room person brings you tea/coffee/hot chocolate before brekkie
So, you have a view overlooking the waterhole and the roosting herons, egrets etc and in the evening you must shine your torch to get escorted to the restaurant/bar area. Joseph is usually there to give you one of his beaming smiles and the food is excellent. Not once did we have an upset stomach which made for bouncing around in the jeeps during the day that much more enjoyable! And be prepared for that! Let’s put it this way, my wife wishes she had worn a sports bra. It adds to the feel of the place to be thrown around whilst trying to take your lens cap off! Also, take wet wipes as you do get very dusty on these trips and if taking your camera, your lens will get caked in dust so arm yourself with cleaning cloths.
George was the ultimate host, always popping out to greet you and ask how your day went.
I overheard some guests tell some newcomers how easy it would be for them to see all the animals they want, they’re right outside the camp. Um….no. It’s not a zoo and these are wild animals that can go where they like. So, don’t be disappointed if there is an animal or bird you don’t manage to see, there’s so much more that you will enjoy I promise you.
if you get safaried out, pls take a trip to a local Masai Village - its good to get to understand their culture more
We are already saving for the next trip and apart from getting married, being part of LG for just those 5 nights has been the most memorable moment of my life. Thankyou LG
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a forest in the heart of the Masai Mara, Little Governors' is intimate in character. The luxury en-suite tents are tucked around a large water-hole clearing that teems with life. Beyond, lie the grasslands of the Masai Mara and the deep blue Olololo Ridge Escarpment. Arriving in Camp is an adventure, leaving your vehicle behind you cross the Mara River by boat and are escorted on foot through the forest to the camp. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Little Governors' Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Little Governors` Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Little Governors' Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve