All reviews talek river bush dinner outdoor bath game drives guide joseph his knowledge every meal our honeymoon our waiter masai dancers watching hippos resident hippos dream come true wonderful experience out of this world asante sana tented rooms
Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

dream!! go see it and experience it all. James is the greatest guide. Jane the manager is AWESOME. Can't wait to go back next year and next year and next year. Worth every dollar. food is amazing. good times ahead!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us feedback about your recent stay on this forum. We highly appreciate you for choosing to stay at Mara Explorer.
It is evident you had an amazing experience from staff engagement, game drive experience to having excellent meals. Thank you for the staff mentions who will be recognized.
We all look forward to hosting you on a repeat visit and the many friends you will send our way.

Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

My title says it all. This was literally a dream come true. I could not have asked for a better camp experience. Our tour guide, Michael, was extremely knowledgeable of the animals in the park, where to find them, and anticipating where they'd go. Because of him, we have so many memories and pictures to prove that we went on this vacation of my life time. The staff, led by Maurice, paid exquisite attention to detail. It was the smallest things like bringing us coffee in bed or putting heating pads in our beds that made a great day even better. And the food was out of this world!! They fed us 3 times a day and the quality of the food was right up there with any 5 star restaurant. Also, they provide you with drinks throughout the day. This includes while you are on your safari. Nothing is better than looking at elephants and giraffes that when you have a beer in your hand. The staff was always readily available and willing to help us out with what with whatever we needed. I've now made it my mission in life to recommend to my friends and family that they need to take a safari at Mara Explorer Intrepid camp.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

Dear Guest,

Receive greetings from the Mara Explorer team and thank you for posting the excellent review.
It is indeed evident that you had an amazing stay and that you found the camp exceptional means a lot to us. Mara Explorer is truly a gem and we all take pride working here. Thank you for the comments on our staff who paid particular attention to ensure your every need was met and they will be recognized by my team. We are glad that you found the cuisine 5* and that you were impressed by the game sightings.

We look forward to hosting you in the very near future and the many friends you will send our way.

Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

This property located in close vicinity to Mara Intrepids luxury camp has 10 tented camps directly facing Telek River. There is no fence covering the property and hence families with kids are not permitted.
You can feel the true wilderness of Masai Mara National Park with Hippos in the river roaming around your tent in the night. Even elephants and hyaena roam around freely outside in the night.
Tented camps are clean and comfortable with no mosquitoes or flies. There is free WiFi in the reception/ dinning area.
Staff and service is good. Food is also delicious. We even had a bush dinner.

Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mara Explorer and for posting the excellent review on this forum. We certainly value all our guests and importantly your patronage in our camp.
My team and I are humbled that we measured up to your expectations during your entire stay and that we made your experience ever memorable.
I am delighted to note that you truly enjoyed the wildlife sightings, the attention to detail by our staff, and that you were impressed by the tent amenities during your stay. I would like to assure you of our commitment to deliver on both quality service and product to ensure we remain the preferred choice.
We all look forward to hosting you on a repeat visit.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

Right outside the luxury tent, you can see hippos in the river. At night, there are different sounds of the animals. You are right in the middle of nature. Saw lions and hyenas just outside the camp on one morning.
Tent interior is very luxury. There is also an indoor and outdoor shower.
Choose tent 4 for better views of the hippos.

Room tip: Room 4 for better view
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2018

Dear Guest,

The Mara Explorer team highly appreciates you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent experience.
The camp is a true gem with amazing views while at the comfort of your tent and the location at the min game viewing areas ensures our guests have great sightings while out on the drives. Thank you for the comments on the luxurious tents.
Have the very best.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

We stayed at Mara Explorer camp as part of our safari to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday - it did not disappoint on any aspect. It is only a few minutes from the the Ol Kiombo airstrip, so within minutes of our flights from Samburu landing, we were getting our first glimpse of this wonderful camp! Wed had been allocated Tent 4, which overlooks a bend in the Talek River where the Hippos gather. The decking outside the tent affords the best view of the Hippos and is also the playground of a Mongoose clan! The neighbours (the Hippos) can be a bit noisy in the night, but hey, with neighbours like that I can put up with that for a few nights!

Mary, Kevin and the staff at Mara Explorer were amazing, extremely welcoming and nothing was an issue for them. The food was outstanding in both quality, quantity and presentation especially given the location in the middle of no where! On our final night here, the day before my wife's 60th birthday, an amazing birthday cake was produced at the end of dinner, with the usual rendition of Jambo by the staff!

Our guide was Vincent, a lovely Masai and to my delight, a fellow photographer who carried a camera in the vehicle with him. As soon as I saw that I knew that I was in good company and that he would endeavour to get me the best possible photo opportunities - he did not disappoint! Lions with kill; Lions taking on a Hippo; Pied Kingfishers mating; Hippos mating; Lions mating; a Cheetah; and FOUR Leopards, including one on our last morning before breakfast and our flight out to Nairobi!

One of our fellow guests was a Kenyan travel consultant who travels to Mara Explorer for a bit of R&R - well that speaks volumes of the place when someone like that chooses it over the competition!

Room tip: Tent 4 has the view of the Hippos in the Talek River
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2018

Dear Guest,

Receive greetings from Mara Explorer and thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay.
I have shared the awesome notes with the team and they are all delighted that you had an exceptional experience from being engaged by our friendly staff to the amazing game drive sightings thanks to Vincent who is one of our shining stars.
It was a pleasure hosting your group and glad that you enjoyed the Birthday surprise and the staff performance.
We all look forward to hosting you at Mara Explorer on a repeat visit.