All reviewstalek riveroutdoor bathbush dinnergame drivesguide josephhis knowledgeevery mealour honeymoonour waiterwatching hipposwonderful experiencemasai dancedream come truetented roomsamazing placecheetah killthe entire staff
Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

My title says it all. This was literally a dream come true. I could not have asked for a better camp experience. Our tour guide, Michael, was extremely knowledgeable of the animals in the park, where to find them, and anticipating where they'd go. Because of him, we have so many memories and pictures to prove that we went on this vacation of my life time. The staff, led by Maurice, paid exquisite attention to detail. It was the smallest things like bringing us coffee in bed or putting heating pads in our beds that made a great day even better. And the food was out of this world!! They fed us 3 times a day and the quality of the food was right up there with any 5 star restaurant. Also, they provide you with drinks throughout the day. This includes while you are on your safari. Nothing is better than looking at elephants and giraffes that when you have a beer in your hand. The staff was always readily available and willing to help us out with what with whatever we needed. I've now made it my mission in life to recommend to my friends and family that they need to take a safari at Mara Explorer Intrepid camp.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

Dear Guest,

Receive greetings from the Mara Explorer team and thank you for posting the excellent review.
It is indeed evident that you had an amazing stay and that you found the camp exceptional means a lot to us. Mara Explorer is truly a gem and we all take pride working here. Thank you for the comments on our staff who paid particular attention to ensure your every need was met and they will be recognized by my team. We are glad that you found the cuisine 5* and that you were impressed by the game sightings.

We look forward to hosting you in the very near future and the many friends you will send our way.

Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

This property located in close vicinity to Mara Intrepids luxury camp has 10 tented camps directly facing Telek River. There is no fence covering the property and hence families with kids are not permitted.
You can feel the true wilderness of Masai Mara National Park with Hippos in the river roaming around your tent in the night. Even elephants and hyaena roam around freely outside in the night.
Tented camps are clean and comfortable with no mosquitoes or flies. There is free WiFi in the reception/ dinning area.
Staff and service is good. Food is also delicious. We even had a bush dinner.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mara Explorer and for posting the excellent review on this forum. We certainly value all our guests and importantly your patronage in our camp.
My team and I are humbled that we measured up to your expectations during your entire stay and that we made your experience ever memorable.
I am delighted to note that you truly enjoyed the wildlife sightings, the attention to detail by our staff, and that you were impressed by the tent amenities during your stay. I would like to assure you of our commitment to deliver on both quality service and product to ensure we remain the preferred choice.
We all look forward to hosting you on a repeat visit.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

Right outside the luxury tent, you can see hippos in the river. At night, there are different sounds of the animals. You are right in the middle of nature. Saw lions and hyenas just outside the camp on one morning.
Tent interior is very luxury. There is also an indoor and outdoor shower.
Choose tent 4 for better views of the hippos.

Room Tip: Room 4 for better view
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2018

Dear Guest,

The Mara Explorer team highly appreciates you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent experience.
The camp is a true gem with amazing views while at the comfort of your tent and the location at the min game viewing areas ensures our guests have great sightings while out on the drives. Thank you for the comments on the luxurious tents.
Have the very best.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

We stayed at Mara Explorer camp as part of our safari to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday - it did not disappoint on any aspect. It is only a few minutes from the the Ol Kiombo airstrip, so within minutes of our flights from Samburu landing, we were getting our first glimpse of this wonderful camp! Wed had been allocated Tent 4, which overlooks a bend in the Talek River where the Hippos gather. The decking outside the tent affords the best view of the Hippos and is also the playground of a Mongoose clan! The neighbours (the Hippos) can be a bit noisy in the night, but hey, with neighbours like that I can put up with that for a few nights!

Mary, Kevin and the staff at Mara Explorer were amazing, extremely welcoming and nothing was an issue for them. The food was outstanding in both quality, quantity and presentation especially given the location in the middle of no where! On our final night here, the day before my wife's 60th birthday, an amazing birthday cake was produced at the end of dinner, with the usual rendition of Jambo by the staff!

Our guide was Vincent, a lovely Masai and to my delight, a fellow photographer who carried a camera in the vehicle with him. As soon as I saw that I knew that I was in good company and that he would endeavour to get me the best possible photo opportunities - he did not disappoint! Lions with kill; Lions taking on a Hippo; Pied Kingfishers mating; Hippos mating; Lions mating; a Cheetah; and FOUR Leopards, including one on our last morning before breakfast and our flight out to Nairobi!

One of our fellow guests was a Kenyan travel consultant who travels to Mara Explorer for a bit of R&R - well that speaks volumes of the place when someone like that chooses it over the competition!

Room Tip: Tent 4 has the view of the Hippos in the Talek River
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2018

Dear Guest,

Receive greetings from Mara Explorer and thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay.
I have shared the awesome notes with the team and they are all delighted that you had an exceptional experience from being engaged by our friendly staff to the amazing game drive sightings thanks to Vincent who is one of our shining stars.
It was a pleasure hosting your group and glad that you enjoyed the Birthday surprise and the staff performance.
We all look forward to hosting you at Mara Explorer on a repeat visit.

Reviewed July 18, 2018

My family recently returned from a wonderful visit to Mara Explorer. The staff was excellent, particularly Jane the Manager. She was exceedingly kind and thoughtful.
The accommodations were very comfortable and were better than many a hotel room that I have had over the years. All of the tents overlook the river which was very pretty. The food was great and our guide Raphael was a font of knowledge about the wildlife and such a skilled driver that we rescued 2 trucks in our travels.
As a photography enthusiast I have to commend the customization of the Land Rovers. The vehicles had open sides and tops (covered by canvas if the weather turned rainy). This allowed for the taking of photographs from all angles and good metal support at the top for balancing long lenses. The vehicles were also well maintained and quieter than many other vehicles we encountered.
It is apparent that there was a lot of thought and care taken in designing and running this camp. We are very happy that we chose to stay there. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Mara Explorer Camp, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2018

Dear Guest,

Receive greetings from the Mara Explorer team and thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay.
I do note that as a photographer you were impressed by the customization of the land rovers and that you had a good photography experience. It is our delight that you had an awesome experience from the point of check in to departure from being engaged by our professional and ever attentive staff. We are glad that you enjoyed the cuisine and game drive experience.
We look forward to hosting you during your next visit.