What made this place special was not so much the fabulous setting, the quiet and exclusive feeling, the great game viewing, the luxury tents, but the attention and the care of the staff. Service in this place is truly exceptional - the hosts, Steve and George were both the epitome of attentiveness, knowledge and attention to detail. Coming back from our safari drives during our three day stay at the Explorer, we felt like little kids who had someone to share their experiences with - George always came by to ask us about what we saw and if we needed anything. David, a Masai staff member, helped me get the type of Masai necklace that I was looking for. The chef cooked up some amazing meals and was very attentive.
They had surprise bush breakfast for us the day of our departure, a barbecue surprise dinner and a surprise Masai dance during our last evening. The camp was very quiet and at night you could hear the sounds of nature. Even though we didn't stay in the famous tent #4 (right at the Hippo beach), we loved our tents and we got to see the Hippos from the main dinner / hangout deck, in addition to some crocodiles and buffalo. We made friends with the people who were staying there and they invited us to go and hang out by the hippos and take pictures of them. The camp is really small and you get to know everyone.
Our guide, Silas, was a little more quiet and reserved than we had expected but he was clearly very knowledgeable and would take us straight into the heart of the action. He knew where the animals were and if he saw an animal on the move, he would guess accurately where the animal was going and get there before all the other vehicles. Silas was also an expert driver, getting us through some difficult terrain and positioning us for prime viewing if there were other vehicles around. Under his guidance, we saw lions eating, lions mating, cheetahs stalking, leopard walking, elephants and giraffe grazing. We had front-row views of a migration river crossing and we were the second car to arrive to see a black rhino.
The hot water bottles in bed were a nice touch of luxury on top of the already stellar accommodations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve