The camp is intimate and personal without being fussy. We were fortunate to have Tent 4 with the antics of our hippo and baboon neighbours to watch from the lovely outdoor bath. Remember to have wine or a cocktail served to your tent to enjoy in the bath! If, however, you prefer complete quiet at night, this may not be the tent for you. It is also the tent furthest from the common area. I would also agree with previous reviewers that the mattresses are quite hard, but that's a very small complaint. Steve is an excellent host, the waiting staff is very well trained and the food delicious and varied. Vincent was a knowledgeable guide who obviously loves his work and the bush. It was wonderful to travel the length and breadth of the Mara, and not just chase the big 5. He was happy to answer questions about birds and the flora. He is also keen on photography, so will position the vehicle for the best shots. Fortunately our vehicle companions also wanted to see the whole area. We combined the two morning drives and had boxed breakfasts out in the bush, which I can recommend.
This camp is simple enough that I felt I was out in the bush. The Mara always delivers when it comes to animal sightings - 4 leopard sightings, lions, hyaenas and cheetahs every day, herds of antelope and zebra out on those spectacular plains. What more could one want?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Jovago.com, Agoda and Hotwire so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve