This was one of the BEST vacations I've ever had. You MUST stay here if you want to see animals and be pampered at the same time. Vincent was the best guide ever. We saw 27 different types of animals (not including birds) in 3 days. We saw the Big 5 and we were lucky enough to see a wildebeest/zebra crossing during the migration. We thought we had missed it but the migration took place later this year so we were very lucky. Vincent is very patient and knows the animals and their habits very well. And then there is the camp itself. Wow! Steve does a super job of running this place. He is genuinely concerned about his guests and interested in their animal sightings. He must hear the same stories over and over but you can tell he truly enjoys his guests' delight in the wildlife. Steve loves to plan surprises which makes a stay at this camp lots of fun. We were told we were going to be "king and queen" one night for dinner. As a surprise, they had set up a lovely table on our deck and dinner was served by the staff. This was no small feat since our tent was one of the farthest tents from the kitchen. Then to top it all off, we were entertained by Masai dancers. I actually had tears in my eyes! Another night, as we were walking to the dining area for dinner, we were told to follow the lanterns in order to see a "white elephant". The staff had set up dinner in a clearing under the stars and that was our surprise. But the real surprise was when an angry hippo came up from the river to snort at the chefs while they were cooking! It was a little tense for a few moments but it was something we'll never forget. The tent accommodations are wonderful and the outside bathtubs are a great idea. We watched hippos and baboons one evening from our bathtub! How good is that? Now, I'm saving the best for last-THE FOOD!!! We are good cooks so we're rather picky about meals. The chef is fantastic and also consistent. Even the box breakfasts are good. Take my advice. Make your reservations fast. The Mara Explorer Camp is the best. It should be #1 on Tripadvisor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Masai Mara, Mara Explorer Camp is set on its own private peninsula, with each of its ten luxurious tents opening to the Talek River and the stunning savanna. The tents, equipped with all mod cons are set on wooden decks opening out to a private verandah where you can enjoy time alone in the wild away from it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Mara Explorer Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Explorer Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Explorer Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve