We stayed 4 nights at the Royal Mara for a special end of honeymoon treat & we were certainly not disapointed. It was suggested by Doc from Kenayn adventures to give us the luxury tented camp experience we wanted at a price we could afford & it was a perfect choice.The tents are truly luxurious and spaced apart to give privacy & an intimate feel. The staff are all very friendly & the service was excellent.. The beautiful surroundings made it a delight to be up at the crack of dawn, the Mara is an amazing place, simply stunning.
The food was fabulous, a 3 course dinner conjoured up in the middle of the bush - unbelievable! To be able to have meals outside overlooking hippos basking in the river was an unforgettable experience.The camp is located outside the Mara triangle, approx 1 hours drive from main gate but there is plenty of wildlife & stunning scenery with the benefit of being quieter & the ability to get closer to the wildlife. We did have a day drive into the main Mara reserve as we hoped to witness a river crossing, which luckily we did, it was amazing & worth the extra $60 per person cost to go into this area. We had our own excellent driver but he was accompanied by Emmanuel, a wonderful & skilled Maasai guide from the camp & a pleasure to meet.
The only downside was we did not have enough time to fully relax and enjoy the peaceful luxury of the camp itself or participate in the bush walks which were offered as we had 2 full day drives plus balloon flight..
The camp is being extended to include a larger bar area & swimming pool located next to the beautiful Hippo lagoon, so i imagine this will be an added bonus, though it is the small intimate & friendly feel of the camp that makes it so special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com and Booking.com so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve