The lodge has just six rooms all by the Mara River. There is no perimeter fence and at night some hippos clamber up the steep path to graze inside the property. Elephants and Impala wander in as well and one morning we saw fresh lion pug marks just a few metres away from our room. The rooms are very big and each one has a large verandah that overlooks the Mara River that flows right in front.
Wilson, the driver who took us around on most of our game drives is the best we've ever seen. An expert tracker, he actually led us to a pair of lions sleeping below a bush by tracking their pug marks and hair snagged on branches of bushes. Because the lodge is in a private conservancy with very few lodges, you feel as if you have the park to yourselves. We had the most amazing 30 minutes with five lion cubs playing and two lionesses. Our car was the only one there. In Masai Mara we would soon have had ten other vehicles, each jostling for the best view.
The service at the lodge and the food are very good as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve