From the moment our flight landed at the airstrip, we could see zebras, gazelles, warthogs (you name it) running free on the savanna. We were not expecting to see so much, so fast, during our 3 night stay. Before the driver took us to the lodge for check-in we saw a herd of 20 giraffe walking around, a herd of 50 or more buffalo, it just went on and on, and within 20 minutes we were overwhelmed. I asked our driver Julius if we would see lions on this drive between the airstrip and the lodge, and he smiled and pointed to a stretch of bushes in the distance. He told us the lions caught a zebra earlier in the night, had eaten, and were busy resting in the shade. "Would you like to see them now?" I told him it was too much to take in so fast, I needed to check in. He laughed and said that in the afternoon we would see the lion pride, and surely we did. But not before we saw our room at check in. The photos on the website do not do these rooms justice. The location is amazing right next to the river, and we could hear and see the hippos thru the day and night. I did not have high expectations given the placement of a hotel out in the middle of nowhere, but it exceeded my expectations with pleasant, tasty food and good, clean rooms. I also felt extra safe with the room on a wooden platform. On one night I heard a hippo eating grass behind the room. The manager James was especially friendly, as were the security staff, Steven and of course our driver Julius. When we finally found the cheetah, my heart melted. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and safari seekers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Jovago.com so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve