We booked a 3 day 2 night safari at the Royal Mara via Julius Thuvi of Julius T Safaris www.juliustsafaris.com and it was amazing. Julius was fantastic and I would definitely recommend you book via him (see separate review).
The Royal Mara was lovely. It's only a small camp, 8 tent/lodges which makes it friendly and personal. The tents/lodges are large and well appointed, the food great and the staff lovely. The camp is not fenced off and is right by the river so hippos and other animals wander around at night. You are escorted to and from your tent/lodge and feel safe at all times.
The game drives were amazing. Simon our driver was lovely and worked hard to find the animals for us and he did very well. We were lucky as we saw a leopard on all 3 days, many lions, a cheetah and many, many more animals. The animals are much more abundant in the Mara that in other parts of Kenya & Tanzania and because the drivers do not have to stick to roads/tracks you can get closer to the animals.
We definitely recommend the Royal Mara, so much so that we are planning to return.
Do take some warm clothes (long sleeves, long trousers & a fleece or 3 if like me you're always cold). The Mara is much cooler than other parts of Kenya due to it's altitude and it was very chilly on the morning game drives and again got chilly towards the end of the afternoon drives. Also take a packamac just in case like us you get heavy rain in the evenings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mara is a luxury safari and game viewing lodge located in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara, home to the annual Great Migration of the Wildebeest. We are situated directly on the Mara River with six riverfront guest suites. All suites are raised upon wooden decks with full mahogany flooring and original hand carved furniture. See the same wildlife-rich areas as broadcast on the BBC Big Cat Diary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Royal Mara Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Mara Safari Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Royal Mara Safari Lodge Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve