“this is a must do” 5 of 5 stars

Leleshwa Camp
Saltcoats, Scotland, United Kingdom
“this is a must do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

best camp in the massai mara.Ofering a very unique atmosfer.Leleshwa is on a conservancy which allows more freedom.The staff want you to do what you want to do and will explain the options and then make whatever your choice very special from bush lunches to sundowners to visiting the local school and village. There are only 7 tents so the experience is very personal. You can dine with everyone in a very well-appointed tent

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ian S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Finnish first
Elyria, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have read the other reviews, and they are so right: Leleshwa is a spectacular place to stay. David Kasura was our Guide, Rinka our tracker, and Simon is the Manager. They all worked overtime to make sure our stay was unparalleled. First, the tent for me and my daughter was beautiful. I had a king-sized bed the first night, and she had a twin. She kidded me about my "big bed", so when we got back from our first day out, we found they'd put in another king bed for her. We were stunned. The 5 days there were filled with great company (Simon and David), wonderful food, and pure luxury. We were at the end of our safari, so David and Rinka worked hard to make sure we saw different animals and had new experiences. They did a wonderful job. Everything was beautiful, and the one day of rest that we took was more to enjoy being in the camp than to just rest. The only time we saw other tourists was when we took the balloon ride, and we loved that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RACWhite
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Leleshwa Camp was a very unique and special experience. We stayed in four camps and a hotel and all were great but Leleshwa offered something very unique. We stayed for 5 nights at the end of our trip which was perfect because here we were able to walk and really spend a lot of time with the guides. Leleshwa is on a conservancy which allows more freedom to do walks and nightdrives and sundowners. Once we were there we did not do any drives except to get to and from our sundowners and walks. We were ready to listen to the quiet and learn about the land and smaller wildlife and just see what animals we would find on foot. While walking we happened upon giraffes, zebras, monkeys, baboons, antelopes of many kinds and wonderful birds.

The staff want you to do what you want to do and will explain the options and then make whatever your choice very special from bush lunches to sundowners to visiting the local school and village. There are only 7 tents so the experience is very personal. You can dine with everyone in a very well-appointed tent or have a dinner with white tablecloth and candles in the bush (a highlight for sure).

Our guide David Leshan was fabulous as was our Maasai escort, William. At dinner we talked about Kenyan, animals, life in villages and we learned a lot and became friends.

The food was fresh and plentiful and the chef allowed us to join him in the kitchen tent for some lessons which was fun.

Truly a very special experience.

Room Tip: The tents are very well appointed and bed is very comfortable. They wake you up with french press c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I cannot fault anything in my time here it was just brilliant! I did the wildlife photography course over a weekend, had the whole camp to myself and had a fabulous time. I felt safe and secure all the time, the food was just delicious, the staff courteous, attentive and friendly.
Rinko was my spotter and he was great! I saw all the big five on day one, had wild open air breakfasts and lunches.... Sun downers were a treat! The chef was superb!
I enjoyed the course (shame my battery died and I didn't have a charger doh!)
I'll definitely be back! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Hanahtarifa
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I only stayed for one night en-route to my last property on my trip. I wasn't well at all due to a long day's travelling across land from the previous camp (a little sunstroke I think). The manager could not have looked after me any more; he made sure that I was comfortable, a guard was outside my tent all night in case i needed anything.

The next morning, we saw the photo suite - fantastic for keen photographers; great curio shop; lovely food; comfortable beds in the ten - I had a twin tent - it had a great shower. Fabulous breakfast which saw me through to the next camp.

I left my malaria medication behind and didn't realise until I go to the next camp. The driver went back and then returned it to me at the next camp. Couldn't ask for better service.

Room Tip: All rooms are as good as each other.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of the safari phase of our honeymoon, and it was definitely the highlight of that part of the trip. The camp is set in a wonderful location, the tents are very spacious and well appointed, and the food is excellent. The owner, Mike, is very friendly and welcoming. However, what really sets this camp apart from other excellent camps we visited was the quality of the game drives we experienced whilst there. The staff, including our driver David, really know the area and the local wild-life, and were excellent at getting us close-up views of the big game. Their knowledge and off-road vehicles really let us explore the mara, spending most of the time away from the crowds of mini-vans. We couldn't recommend this camp more.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gerry H
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

You know what I love about this camp (besides everything)? It is the remoteness and authenticity! I've been to the Masai Mara three times now and as wonderful as it is throughout (and I highly recommend visitng there) you just cannot get away from the fact that other people are around. Leleshwa Camp allowed us to get off the beaten path, away from crowds right on the edge of the Masai Mara. It is set up in a private reserve and as we approached I almost couldn't even see the camp until I was fully in my tent; the seclusion and privacy and beauty is like no other place I've seen in the Mara. We did walking safaris, game drives and had the time of our lives. I'd recommend spending a few nights at Leleshwa for sure and maybe mix it with a few nights inside the Masai Mara Reserve itself to combine the seclusion of Leleshwa and the prolific--if sometimes crowded--wildlife viewing in the reserve.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends