When a one week trip to Nairobi turned into two, we found ourselves asking what could we do for the weekend. My husband's coworker suggested that we visit the Masai Mara, stay in a camp and do a safari. I wasn't too pleased with the term 'camp' but Governor's II Moran was anything but what I expected. After the quick 45 minute plane ride from Nairobi, we were driven to Moran. Upon arrival, we were told we were at the wrong Governor's Camp (they are a few camps) but Nicholas and Patrick, the manager, helped to smooth everything out. When we were shown to our tent, I was pleased to find that it was nice and spacious and had a nice bathroom with running water. The camp is situated alongside the Mara river and you can hear the sounds of the hippos throughout the day and night. The first night, I was a bit uneasy but the 2nd night I slept like a baby. The camp is not fenced so it's not unusual for an elephant or hippo (at night) to be roaming around. I felt very safe however since there are guards around who escort you to and from your common area at night.
Our guide, Richard, was amazing and extremely knowledgable. We got to see 4 of the big 5, not the leopard, but got to see other amazing animals. We also got to do a nice picket alongside the river which was a memorable experience. My friends and family can't believe the pictures we took. On top of the great room and awesome guide, the food is delicious. It's hard to believe you are in the middle of nowhere.
My husband made the staff aware that we were also celebrating my birthday, so Patrick arranged a bottle of champagne for our tent, Richard, our tent steward, decorated our tent and I was presented with a cake after dinner. Overall, this trip was amazing and one my husband and I will never forget. I look forward to returning again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' IL Moran Camp is small and intimate. Located right in the heart of the Masai Mara Game Reserve, this small luxurious camp is hidden under ancient trees, deep in the forest on the banks of the Mara River. 10 spacious tents line the winding river banks of the Mara River. With the best game viewing right on your doorstep game drives and game walks are included in the rate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Governors' Il Moran Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governors` Il Moran Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors' Il Moran Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve