“Under African skies.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governors' Il Moran Camp

Governors' Il Moran Camp
“Under African skies.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

What a beautiful setting for this site. I'm loathe to use the word 'camp' as the tents are so luxurious and I had wonderful nights of sleep just occasionally punctuated by the sound of the hippos! The food, wine and service is superb and your every need is catered for. Our driver Maina was so in tune with the animals and the landscape. It was a pleasure to have him as our guide and we learnt so much. It was our first visit to Africa and it won't be our last we loved every moment. Just downloading over a thousand photo's and agonising over which ones to delete!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at Governors Il Moran camp last September and it was a magical experience. Il Moran is the more 'up market' of the camps at Governers and really felt quite exclusive. The tent was ENORMOUS and beautifully appointed. Location was superb, about 2 steps from the front of the tent was the Mara river complete with about 20 hippos basking in the sun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at Il Moran for three nights as part of our honeymoon and have nothing but compliments for Patrick and all those who looked after us. Service, food, location and accommodation were superb, as were all of the game drives. We would heartily recommend this secluded idyll to anyone looking for a romantic adventure.

1 Thank Bella1797
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Il Moran is a fantastic camp with good people who do their very best for your comfort. We were met by our guide Simon when we landed at the small airstrip and taken to the camp; and what a place. Large comfortable tents right by the bank of the Mara river, with hippos, crocs, elephants and giraffes immidiately visible in the river and on the banks of the river. During the night we could hear the lions roar nearby. What a neighbourhood! Tents were spacious, luxurious and clean and well kept by the staff and the food superb. We stayed for three nights and had fantastic game drives with our guide and saw lots of animals and we had an unforgettable balloon trip which ended with champagne breakfast after a perfect flight.Recommended! Il Moran Camp is truly an unbelieveable place which must be experienced..

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Tor Christian E
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

A belated review but have to say how amazing this trip was... stayed sept 2010...

We stayed here for 4 nights before heading off to Zanzibar to get married (see my review of echo beach hotel). This was our first time on safari and can truly say it was a magical experience. I'll never forget the moment we arrived and being greeted with a cool refreshing drink, the sun was shining and nature was there in all its glory... was almost overwhelming!! Checkin was quick and were taken straight to tent to unpack. These tents are HUGE... and face the river which was filled with hippos swimming and warthogs grazing. We went on our first safari drive that evening and although it rained hard with lots of thunder, we were fortunate to immediately come across a lion with a fresh kill! Returning shortly before it got dark. Over the next few days we pretty much saw everything apart from the black rhino, even spent a couple of hours at a crossing as the migration was taking place and eventually witnessing the incredible chaos that takes place when the wildebeest finally pluck up the courage to cross... including the crocs lurking around and grabbing the odd weak one.

Without spending hours writing my review which i could quite happily do as this whole experience was unforgettable i'll only be reiterating what others have said. We also did a hot air balloon ride which was out of this world, theres no better place to do one! and with a full english and champagne on landing what more could be better!??

If you're considering this place, consider no more... its the one!!

Room Tip: Tipping the drivers will help you as well as them.
1 Thank just_me_81
Southend
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

From when I first arrived I could not fault anything, then when we got to our tent I was even more taken back, firstly it has all home comforts of a toilet shower and comfy bed, but out on the little porch were views of a valley looking down on a river which was low when I was there and saw crocodiles and in the trees on the other side of the valley were lots of baboons. The food is lovely and the area is pretty. I saw hippos wandering around the camp and one night an elephant was right outside my tent eating the fruit off of one of the trees. And the safari was spectacular I went on everyone possible and think I saw every animal in the masai mara. The tour guide was amazing and would go back. I had a booking for the hot air balloon but due to the not so good weather it got cancelled but completely not their fault. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left I was one happy lady. Would recommended to all

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hannah G
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

WOW is the only word I can find to describe every emotion I felt on my arrival here. The whole experience from beginning to end blew my mind.The levels of care,respect, kindness and generosity afforded me by all members of staff was the most outstanding feature of this property. Like the couple from Denmark who have just posted a review I would return again in an instant.

There is an old Gucci saying that is fittingly appropriate to this whole experience " that quality is remembered long after price is forgotten" Maina my guide, was a gentleman that guided me through this abundance of wildlife. He brought everything I have ever watched on national geographic alive instantly. It was wonderful

The food was excellent the setting was stunning. As for the "EXPERIENCE" well that cannot be described. There is only one way to experience it and that is just go there. if you are reading this you might be considering going there. Do not hesitate, you wont be disappointed. I booked a whole governors package which also included Loldia House and its own internal flights. It was worth every penny.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo