We were taken to Il Moran by my sister and brother-in-law, who have been several times before, and what a revelation it was - it is absolutely fantastic! Nature in the raw, with five star luxury, not an oxymoron, but what Il Moran is all about. There are plenty of other reviews detailing the facilities, so I won't replicate them, suffice to say that it's as good as it gets.
We were a party of 10, so had two jeeps with terrific guides, Maina and Ngei. You can do up to three game drives a day but we only ever had two as we always took a picnic breakfast to avoid wasting time driving back to the camp for breakfast, and one day took a picnic lunch as well so only had the one drive but were out for the best part of 10 hours, it was magical. To look a fully grown male lion in the eye from a distance of about 3 metres is an experience I will never forget.
Thanks to everyone at the camp: Patrick, the manager, who was a mine of information, always there when needed and produces a regular game update by email; Simon the head chef who could put many European chefs with far better facilities to shame, Jackson, who looked after us as though we were his children, and Maina and Ngei, our driver/guides who showed us so much and knew absolutely everything about everything.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' IL Moran Camp is small and intimate. Located right in the heart of the Masai Mara Game Reserve, this small luxurious camp is hidden under ancient trees, deep in the forest on the banks of the Mara River. 10 spacious tents line the winding river banks of the Mara River. With the best game viewing right on your doorstep game drives and game walks are included in the rate. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia and Orbitz so you can book your Governors' Il Moran Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governors` Il Moran Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors' Il Moran Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve