I just got back from a trip to the Maasai Mara and can confidently say that the Mara Siria camp is the best camp you could stay at in the Mara. You will see review by people moaning about the bad roads and long drives but this is the bush and comes with the territory (literally!). Thanks to the bad rains this year the roads are a bit worse for wear, but it's an adventure travelling up and down the mountain to get to the camp or down to the park itself for a game drive.
The camp really is luxury - it's like a 5 star hotel but with tents instead of rooms. We stayed in tents 5 and 6 which had some of the most spectacular views of the rift valley. In a double tent you get a king sized bed (2 mattresses and duvets along with blankets and hot water bottles when it gets cold!). An en suite bathroom with two wash basins, amenities, a flushing toilet and a gravity fed shower (which is filled with hot water each evening on return from safari).
The camp is not enclosed so you will be escorted through the camp after dark -we saw zebra at night in the middle of the camp! Recent additions are the plunge pool which is right on the edge of a cliff so gives a fantastic panoramic view of the valley below. There are plenty of other activities besides a safari too such as a visit to the Maasai village or mountain biking etc.
The food is absolutely out of this world - I've actually had worse food at city hotels so the quality and variety of food was a massive surprise.
Peter (or the 'minister of stomach' as he's otherwise known) is an absolute legend and will make food to order as per your liking. Main meals consist of meat, potatoes and vegetables and breakfasts include continental, pancakes and cooked! As a food lover this was a highlight for me.
The views from the main tent area are a sight to behold. I got up to see the sunrise each day which I would highly recommend doing from the main tent as you get a fantastic panoramic view of the sun rising over the rift valley below.
The safari trips (run by Phoenix) were excellent - we saw a whole plethora of animals and our driver had people in the know who called in with sightings of lions and elephants etc. The only bad point was getting stuck in the mud for 3 hours in the heat of the day due to the heavy rains. This can be avoided by making sure the vehicle you go out on has the correct tyres (ours should have had mud tyres considering the recent weather!). The best driver we had was Emmanuel. The rest of the staff at the camp were very friendly and were dedicated to making our trip enjoyable.
In conclusion if you are looking for an authentic Maasai Mara experience including all of the lumps and bumps of a real safari, and if you want to be able to return home to an oasis of peace, calm and luxury each evening I would strongly recommend booking a place at the Mara Siria Luxury Tented Bush Camp in the Maasai Mara.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mara Siria is a specially designed luxury tented bush camp for those travellers who want to experience a true wildlife safari off the beaten track. Mara Siria Camp reverts to the original spirit and to the true meaning of “Safari” by offering individual services and private atmosphere.The camp's location on top of the Siria Escarpment offers an unique and stunning view into the plains of the Maasai Mara Triangle and at the Mara River. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Jovago.com so you can book your Mara Siria Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mara Siria Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Mara Siria Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve