“Very fine...but issues with hot water (and you're paying $$$$)”
Review of Kilima Camp

Kilima Camp
Paris, France
“Very fine...but issues with hot water (and you're paying $$$$)”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I must admit that the camp is beautifully located on the hills overlooking the famous Mara river, that's to start. It is very well kept, the new tents are elegant and comfortable, the service is mostly on its best (we were warmly welcomed by the camp manager, Monica, and at night we had a hot water bottle waiting for us in the bed, that was nice).

What we didn't like, was that we had no hot water in our tent - and this is kind of crazy when you think about the significant sum you're paying per night! Of course the manager said sorry about their solar panels that didn't work that day, but in my opinion a camp that is pretending to be a luxury one MUST have a backup solution.

Other thing we didn't appreciate - we ordered a small bottle of wine for dinner and we were very clear about the size, there was no room for a misunderstanding. As they didn't have the small ones they brought a regular bottle (without asking us whether we accept it) and the waiter was about to open it and serve us. That was not really classy!

The overall experience was fine, but I wouldn't say that it was amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Great Britain
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at Kilima for three nights at the end of July. The camp enjoys a unique location, a few miles from the national park, on the top of an escarpment overlooking the Mara, with breathtaking views of the river and surrounding savannah. Dawn and sunset were particularly spectacular, though the views were attractive at all times. The camp is very well run, neatly laid out and clean. Personable, helpful staff for whom nothing seems to be too much trouble - even an unreliable computer connexion. The tents are large and well proportioned - our first experience of 'glamping'. Food, including the picnic lunches, was fine and always carefully presented. The game drives were beyond our expectation - saw everything and more than we had imagined; lots of (positive) heart-stopping moments, including rhino and calf passing within a few feet, a lioness and cub close enough to hear the cub mewing and the lioness panting, 'trekking' with wildebeast and zebras, and being surrounded by elephants and giraffes ... and much, much more. Probably invidious to mention any one individual, but our guide was Martin who seemed able to conjure one spectacular moment after another - cannot commend him (or Kilima for that matter) too highly. An experience of a lifetime. Colin & Beth.

Room Tip: Ask for Martin as your game guide/driver.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank C2E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in Kilima for our 2nd stay in this camp in two years and we have to say the magie is on! The atmosphere of Kilima camp is as nowhere else (and we have done a few). The view over the Mara and the Mara river is breathtaking, the fire place, the bar and the restaurant create such a warm and friendly atmosphere. The food is of extremely good quality and the service is personalised with a particular attention to details and that what makes it really different from other places. We stayed in a deluxe tent which is decorated with local artworks and gives a very romantic feeling. Our guide and driver Martin is one of the best guides in Mara and thanks to him in one day we saw, among the "usual suspects" of Mara, lions, cheetahs and even a leopard after a patient track with all the useful explanations about the wildlife while we were searching for predators.
Thanks to all Kilima staff for making our stay a memorable one. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed there for 6 nights and i have to say its a breath taking place with a most amazing view.

You wake up in a morning, birds are singing and zebras and giraffes walking 2 miters next to your tent... Game drives are fantastic as our guide-driver spotted so many animals while no one else from different camps could find them. I've seen all animals in a one day apart from the leopard.

The food and the vine (from their own vine seller) where divine. It feels so strange that in a evening you can't walk alone to your tent as wiled life is everywhere so the real Masai have to accompany you. I guess its not a problem but its just like a dream from the fairytale. You feel yourself very safe there and its very quite quite place.

Few family's were there with kids and i think its the best experience they ever had. Children where spending hours listening stories and playing games with a Masai man from the small local village. He was teaching them how to use the bow and an arrows and chatting about different plants and animals.

And at the same time as the most of the tents are far away from each other you can't hear any noise so it was the most romantic and amazing experience in my life.

Thank you Kilima Camp, can't wait to come back.

Natalia

Room Tip: The best room is N15 as its the last one so animals will be there.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

It is coming up to a year since my husband and I stayed at Kilima camp, feeling nostalgic for what was our honeymoon I had to write and share what an incredible experience the camp was for us. We stayed in the Superior tent which was a setting of paradise in the heart of the Masai Mara. Luxurious bed (in which we found a welcome hot water bottle each night), lovely bathroom with hot water, peaceful veranda and very spacious. What a treat to wake up to hot coffee each morning, lying in bed looking out over the Mara. Fantastic gaming experience - excellent driver, a lovely man with great knowledge of the animals and landscape. Morning drives a must, seeing two lions enjoying the sunrise together a highlight. The food was excellent and all staff on grounds a complete delight. Cannot recommend Kilima camp more for a once in a lifetime experience. A year on, thank you for an unforgettable honeymoon :)

• Stayed August 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Kilima camp in the Masai Mara was the most amazing place to stay. The beautiful tents are nestled on the edge of the escarpment with the Mara laid out like a blanket below. The camp is a secluded and special place that was perfect for our wedding. The food and service was excellent and the whole experience completely exceeded our expectations. The staff are wonderful and work hard to create a special vibe and there is attention to detail throughout. We have come home with thousands of photos and many special memories. Martin was a first class safari guide and each day we saw the best of Kenyan wildlife thanks to his amazing spotting skills. I have recommended Kilima Camp to all my family and friends. Thank you to everyone at Kilima Camp.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunoon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have just returned from my ten day holiday to Kenya and it was tremendous. The warm welcome on arrival by the manager of the camp was soon to be escalated by welcomes from al members of staff at the camp. Paul, took care of al the food and drink and his service and manner was amongst the best I have received in my adventure around the globe. Young joshua, a massai from the neighbouring village was always around to help with anything or just answer some of the many questions I had about his cultures. Also I was privileged that he took me to his village to show me a little of their customs, where I also had the privilege to have been sung to by the woman of his village. Festas, well he as the security guard was just tremendous and at no point did you ever have anything to worry about with regard to the up close and personal wildlife around the camp, in fact I was tempted one night to patrol with him as he was passionate about the animals and I just loved his stories and knowledge he imparted round the campfire in the evenings. Martin, friend, comedian and guide extraordinaire and full of pearls of wisdom. My training as a spotter was at embryo stage although Martin, hawk eye, always made me feel I was good at it! To anyone wanting a memorable trip to Kenya I could not fault Kilima but only offer them the highest of praise. I will be back, but at migration time just so I can complete the picture I have of the Mara.

Room Tip: The deluxe tent is the one to go for.... Immense!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo