“Great camp - wonderful place!”
Review of Kilima Camp

Kilima Camp
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We (a German family) stayed only two nights in Kilima Camp, but it was the nicest place we had been on our one week safari trip through Kenia! The view of the Mara plain is unforgettable! To sit at the fire and have a drink before having a wonderful dinner (best kitchen!!!) is fantastic. The tents are very nice and you really feel indulged by the personal. Lovely place to come back...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bi_Z_66
kilimacamp, Director of Sales at Kilima Camp, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear friends, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was a pleasure to host you at Kilima Camp with your family n December. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time and unforgettable memories at Kilima Camp.
We really hope to have the pleasure to host you again, to be able to return such a good feeling.
Thanks for choosing Kilima Camp
All the best
Veronique and the rest of Kilima Camp team

There are newer reviews for Kilima Camp

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We visited this camp as our last part of our visit to Kenya last June/July. Martin our Guide was exceptional and after collecting us from our last camp to the trip to Kilima the game drive was fantastic. our tent was great with fantastic views. Food was good and service as well. The downside is that the regular manager had left and whether the following be the fault of the stand in management or not, I am not sure. We were there for 3 nights and believed that that entitled us to 2 games drives a day. The 1st day we went out all day which was fantastic. The 2nd day we did the hot air balloon and when we came back were recommended to visit the village. Upon our return it was too late to do another game drive and an evening drive wasn't an option. On the third day we were told that there wasn't enough transport and that we would have to share. Fortunately my husband and children preferred to sleep in and although we were booked for private drives it wasn't a problem. I then returned from the drive (after having to stop at the air landing strip to pick up new guests). I then had to rush to leave our tent as the new guests were moving into our tent! All in all for three days we had 1 game drive on the first day, full day on the second (which is normal procedure) and 1 for myself on the 3rd day without my family. It all worked out in the end however, when you are paying $$$ for this vacation you really shouldn't have any issues. Aside from this, no one collected our laundry until late afternoon the 2nd day in time to get it back for our departure. Again, Martin, to me is what made Kilima. I have to put this all down to bad management and I would like to believe that if Tony (the regular manager) had been there I hope things would of been different although the up shot of it was that they said that they didn't have enough transportation to accomodate everyone at that time! If it wasn't for the problem with the game drive I would probably give this a 4 rating. One more note - beware of the 30/40 minute bumpy ride to and from the site to get to the reserve.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzan A
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I travelled there for 3 nights in mid February 2013.

We were absolutely delighted with the whole visit and experience. I can do no better than endorse all the very best things written by others about the camp, its lovely staff, its accommodation, food and service. They are all of the very highest order.

We were fortunate indeed in being guided by Martin. He is the very best as a person and as a driver, game finder and instructor; indeed he seems to see animals and birds that go totally unspotted by others!

Room Tip: All the tents are very good indeed, all with modern services and having effectively the same view...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkstephens
kilimacamp, Director of Sales at Kilima Camp, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear friends, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was a pleasure to host you at Kilima Camp with your wife in February. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time at Kilima Camp. it's really a joy to read your enthusiastic comment about the camp, the friendly staff, the services and food... And your game drives!
All our guides including Martin are great people and very knowledgeable. They are excellent spotters and know very well the areas as they go on game drives every day!
Thanks for choosing Kilima Camp
All the best
Veronique and the rest of Kilima Camp team

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Kilima camp

Our experience at Kilima Camp was wonderful. Upon landing at Kichwa airstrip, we were met by our guide Martin who took us on our first drive before taking us to the camp. Within a short time we had seen zebra, warthogs, hippo and crocodile.

The food, service and accommodation were excellent. Kilima is perched on the side of a mountain with superb views of the Mara. We opted for a deluxe tent (No 15) which was comfortable and spacious with a lovely veranda. The only downside was the water pressure was low so the shower was only a dribble and the water wasn’t always hot. The camp is not fenced in so at nights one of the Masai would escort us back to our tents. We heard hyenas and other animals during the night but never felt threatened. One of the loveliest things at night is the star’s, we have never seen them so clear and watched them by the fire drinking our sundowners.

We went on a nature walk with Brica which was interesting to learn about the Masai way of life and realised we had our own safari park in the back garden as we saw plenty of giraffe, zebra and antelope.

Martin was lovely, knowledgeable and funny. We saw everything apart from a leopard or black rhino but he never gave up trying to find these. Ask him about the “five legged zebra”, a private joke, that will make him laugh.

If you have the budget, go on the balloon flight ($450pp). You are picked up at around 5am and taken to Little Governors Camp. After the balloon is prepared you set off around sunrise and the flight takes just over an hour. When you land a cooked breakfast is prepared before going off on your morning game drive.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe tent (no 15)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie D

Dear Debbie, it's really a joy to read your detailed and enthusiastic comment!
Your feedback is for all of us at Kilima Camp a full refill of power and energy in order to enjoy the beautiful side of the hospitality, and try to make it better everyday . We really hope to have the pleasure to host you again.
All the best and thanks!
Veronique and The rest of Kilima Camp team

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Kilima was the heart of our 4th trip to the African Continent in 8 year.

Martin our guide and driver was the best game tracker we've ever witnessed. When he found two black rhinos our kids went crazy! Kilima's drive vehicles are the best. They have electrical outlets, coolers and a center aisle so you can move around. They also store fold-up furniture so you can sit at a table when you eat during a game drive. The game drive is why one goes on safari and the best tracker driving the best vehicle makes for the BEST game drive.

Back at the camp, the food was wonderful, and the people were great: Friendly, respectful, helpful.
Since we had traveled 11 time zone from home, we tired out a little earlier than the Europeans. The staff let us eat dinner a little early. My son loved his nature walk with the Masai warrior, who seemed truly interested in his questions.

Our tents were large and well equiped. While we were at dinner they slipped hot water bottles into the beds when they turned them down. My wife loved it. I love the coffee tray delivered to the tent with out wake up call.

The gift shope was unique with lots of locally produced items. My wife and daughter had a fun time shopping.

Kilima is wonderful. We plan on returning.

Room Tip: The delux tents are huge. The view from all the tents is excellent you must be able to see 50 miles.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bruce C
kilimacamp, Director of Sales at Kilima Camp, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Bruce, Thanks you for your review and thanks for choosing Kilima Camp for your family holidays in January !!! You have been to Africa already, so you knew what to expect. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed each moment with us and that Kilima was probably above your expectations. I can only agree with you when you say that Martin is an excellent guide! All our guides at Kilima Camp are indeed very experienced and know the area very well ! It is true also that the Mara Triangle is a great area as well with its Back Rhinos, Famous Lions and big 5... .We have invested in new 4x4 vehiles and thanks also for saying that we have the "best vehicles" and "guides". We want to be sure that our clients have the best safari experience ! Thanks again for all and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Kind regards. Veronique

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I loved everything about Kilima and I could not possibly find one drawback of the camp. The location, the food, the staff, the service- everything was just perfect and I felt like I made friends for life rather than visited a holiday spot... As a single female traveller en route to South Africa on business I really appreciated information received via e-mail from Veronique, marketing manager and the fact I could organise the whole thing- aiport tranfers, main luggage lockers, connecting flight through one reliable contact. From the moment when I arrived at the Kichwa airstrip I knew it would be a memorable experience- Tom and the staff were awaiting in front of the car with some cold refreshmetns. Every safari organised by the camp was fantastic- during only 2 night stay in allegedly quieter month of January I have seen a whole pride of lions (over 20) -and that was only after leaving the premises of the camp, not even in the national reserve area- then had two encounters with cheetahs and with more lions! The views were breathtaking- especially from the camp located at the top of the Siria Escarpment. On the second night we sat by the fire with a glass of wine and watched the storm over the Mara plains- what an experience! if it's within your budger opt for luxury tent- definetely worth it- although standard tents have also got everything you need. After dark you are escorted to your tent by the Maasai guards (camp is not fenced so quite regularly visited by wild animals, mostly zebras but also leopards) which adds up to the authenticity of the experience. Then they have the spa with a massage area and two bubble baths in the open air with the most spectacurar view- the best bath I've ever had! Would also recommend the bush walk with Maasai warrior and the visit to Manyata- the village- when we spotted numerous giraffes and zebras on the way. Overall- trully unforgettable experience!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Monika B

Dear Monika, Thanks you for your review and thanks for choosing Kilima Camp !!! I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with is at Kilima Camp. Thanks also for sharing the beautiful pictures you took while stay at Kilima Camp for only 2 nights!!! We hope to be able to welcome you in the future with your partner may be... Thanks again for all and kind regards. Veronique

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in September 2010 as part of our honeymoon holiday. I had been to Kenya before when I was 13 and was blown away by our safari trip then, so I was a little worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, further more I'd told my husband how fantastic Kenya was so there was pressure to make sure it didn't disappoint!
We stayed at kilima by pure fluke as the company we went with had closed the camp we were due to stay in!
We were doing a 3 day 2 night safari, and when we landed on the 'runway' in the Masai Mara it felt like a dream! You could see kilima camp, perched on the side of the mountain-and it seemed miles away! We were met by out driver George and taken to our 'home'. I knew what to expect with these camps but for my husband I wondered if it would be a shock!!
As we arrived the staff at Kilima were so welcoming! There was a man there called David who kind of lead the camp, he was and still is one of the kindest most interesting people I have ever met and my husband was taken by his stories of his encounters with the animal kingdom. Showing us all his scars and photos from work projects he'd done.
That afternoon/evening we went on our first drive, now I had previously been on safari in tsavo and never really saw a lion. On booking our holiday I told the travel agents this and she recommended the Mara to avoid disappointment, this cost us more but was well worth it! Straight away we had a lioness walk alongside our vehicle. The two guides that were there we're George and justice and they were beyond FANTASTIC! Over our three days they went above and beyond to ensure we saw as much as we could, including a cheetah!! We also witnessed the wilderbeast migration, from the best view point by the river!! (Breath taking)!
Now, enough about the safari, back to the camp. On a night the fire was lite by one of the masai who would escort you to and from your tent as there is no safety fence around the camp (we loved this) and we loved the noises from the zebra and hyena right outside our tent! The evidence was there in the morning to!!
The food was superb, better than the food back at our hotel!! We had the nicest cooked breakfast up there! From the food tent the view is of the Masai Mara and on a morning as the sun rises so do the hot air balloons, available for you to hire as an air safari! Our tents were brilliant, spacious and comfortable, and although we were on honeymoon our bed was so big we didn't even touch one another, even starfished!! It was almost like glamping (glamorous-camping) The bathroom is kind of separated, but my favourite bit was the shower! They fill a bucket of water heated by solar and there's only enough water for two people to wash a few vital areas! BRILLIANT!!! It is cold on a night so make sure you pack a fleece or at jumper at least!
On our last morning david took us for a bush walk! This was superb! My hubby was absolutely over the moon with this as david grab his gun and his hat we set off. He showed us were a herd of elephant had passed threw only a few days early and a tree which had visible marks up it where a leopard used to take its kills. The leopard was the only thing we didn't see, we saw lions and (older) cubs, the cheetah, rhino and of course elephants! (this was all due to our fantastic drivers)! We experienced things neither of us will ever forget!!
I can't speak highly enough of our experience at kilima and we are desperate to revisit with our new addition to the family (when she's a bit older)!! If you want a real safari experience PLEASE go to kilima!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey H

Dear Stacey, Thanks you for your review and thanks for choosing Kilima Camp for your honeymoon. I am glad to hear that Kilima Camp was on line / may be above your expectations and that you were not disappointed ! You are more than welcome to come back and visit us with your new addition to the family ! As you know we have not mosquito and children love as well the family and friendly atmosphere at Kilima Camp. Thanks for all and take Care. Veronique