For 25 years my dream had been an African Safari. The money was saved and my best friend and I talked, planned and executed our East Africa Safari trip of a lifetime.
Our last safari stop was Fig Tree Camp on the Masia Mara National Reserve. It is a comfortable tented venue on the Telek River. The canvas tent has a permanent shower and toilet attached to it. Outside our tent a graceful fig tree sported a very colorful woodpecker. The first morning I woke very early to the hippos singing in the river. Our stay only got better from there..
The irresistible Vervet monkeys welcomed us as they played or rested in the bamboo plants. The meal are buffet style with a huge variety of food. It was delicious and very attractively presented.
Elaine and I taught the bartenders to make non alcoholic Smoothies. After a small tutorial from us they went to work in the kitchen proudly brought us a Mango drink decorated with carved antelope horns made out of the skin of the fruit. The staff were informative, friendly and we all had fun.
While at Fig Tree we were privileged to see in the surrounding area lions mating, being guest of the Masai tribe village , lion scattering vultures from a fresh kill, lioness with her 2 cubs to name just a few sightings.
At this camp site you can nature walk where we saw baby hedgehog and elephant footprints. Connected to Fig Tree is the optional hot air balloon ride. Starting at morning dark we watched as these huge balloons filled and 17 of us piled into the giant basket that gently lifted off the ground. The sun rose and so did we. The changing light, giraffes, wildebeest, zebras, Eland, hyena, cape buffalo, river water, green, brown different shades of landscapes were breathtaking. For our three day stay at Fig Tree the world stood still for a few brief and shining moments...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fig Tree Camp, located in the prestigious Masai Mara National Reserve, is a luxurious lodge with top-class amenities and service. You have a reason to adventure, we give you the hospitality to go with it. This 72 roomed property is ideal for game drives and nature walks. Our rooms comprise of the superior Ngaboli tents, executive standard tents and lodge rooms, all fitted with facilities to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The Talek River also snakes its way around the camp, to give you that serene and tranquil feel from the hustle and bustle of the city. We do hope you enjoy your stay with us. Welcome to Fig Tree Camp. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Jovago.com so you can book your Fig Tree Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fig Tree Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Fig Tree Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve