Right on the edge of the Mara river with hippos lazing across the bank is the idyllic setting for the Olonana camp. A large tent with both indoor and outdoor showers and a balcony over looking the river was our home for 4 days.
Everything is done to ensure an enjoyable holiday. All the tents have the little extras that ensure a safe, healthy and comfortable stay, (even down to a hot water bottle).
The food is good and service is attentive without being intrusive.
We were fortunate to have Joseph as our guide who ensured that he met each of our target sightings. Not only was he knowledgeable about the wildlife but he was also happy to explain the Masai way of life.
There were many highlights of our daily trips into the Park but the most memorable were:
Seeing 9 lion cubs playing together.
4 Cheetahs having their breakfast before the vultures cleared away the left overs.
A lion and two lionesses killing a gazelle.
A leopard climbing down a tree.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Olonana, our award-winning tented camp situated on a private stretch of the Mara River, recently undergone a significant upgrade to the public areas of the lodge as well as a soft refurbishment to the tented rooms and pool area. The interior decor reflects a contemporary design using a combination of light earthy tones and the local Maasai women played an active part in the refurbishment using the same traditional technique used in their own houses to “mud” the interior walls in all of the main areas and curio shop. From the main viewing deck see and hear the family of noisy hippos who colonise the banks below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, experience traditional African remedies and spa treatments in the mini-spa. Oversized Safari Tents – Built on the banks of the Mara River, the twelve canvas tents at Sanctuary Olonana are extremely comfortable and spacious. The ensuite tents all have two four-poster beds with floor to ceiling mosquito netting – making them perfect for families travelling with small children. Each of the private verandas overlook the river and offer the perfect spot where guests can relax and watch the resident hippos wallow in the water. There are also two honeymoon suites with each featuring outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Sanctuary Olonana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Olonana Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sanctuary Olonana Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve