“Peaceful Haven in Masai Mara”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sanctuary Olonana

Sanctuary Olonana
Suffolk
“Peaceful Haven in Masai Mara”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

Olonana Camp is located on a lovely spot beside the Mara River in the Kichwa Tembo area of the park. The tented accommodation is of a very good standard with all the “mod cons” including lighting provided 24 hours by solar means. However, charging of camera batteries etc., and hot water provided only between the hours of 6 o’clock and 10 o’clock morning and evening. Mosquito nets over the bed were very effective and neither my wife nor me got bitten once in our four-night stay!

All the tents are along the banks of the Mara (as are the dining and bar area) where hippos and crocodiles are frequently seen during the day going about their daily routines. We couldn’t think of a better way to spend the evenings and free time than be at Olonana.

We struck lucky with our game driver Bonnie (Boniface) who had an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Masai Mara and we were lucky to see the “big five” within the first two days of our stay. He was really excellent and made our stay. We went on two game drives a day, one at 6.30am until lunchtime then again at 4pm until before dinner (the park had to be clear by 6.30pm). But really the early morning drives are the best for sunrise, seeing active animals and glorious scenery as far as the border with Tanzania.

The rest of the staff was presided over a German lady, Kristine who puts her heart and soul in ensuring everything runs smoothly. And it shows. Nothing was too much trouble for the chef, waiting staff (topping up our wines glasses very frequently!) and our dedicated butler who woke us at ungodly hours with tea and buns to fortify us before embarking on the morning drives.

Also Bonnie deserves an extra special mention for ensuring we were on the flight manifest for the light plane back to Nairobi after a mix up with the tickets. He got to the plane first, ensured we got on first, which was just as well, as it was overbooked and three people had to wait for another flight to be diverted.

To sum up, if you contemplating a Safari in Kenya, don’t even think twice about it – go to Olonana!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Serialglobetrotter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Olonana in beginning of September. What a wonderful place!!! The atmosphere was incredible and the staff were amazing! I can't give this place enough praise! My husband and I are already talking about returning in the next few years! The game drives were the highlight of the trip for us!!! Our guide Lucas amazed us with his knowledge and didn't disappoint us when it came to animal viewing!! We saw everything- Lions ( including two of the littlest cubs I've seen), Leopard, Cheetah, black rhino, elephant, buffalo, hippo, giraffe, a serval cat and three crossings! The hippos in the river right outside our tent was also a great feature of Olonana! I would recommend this place to anyone!!!

Stayed September 2009
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

My fiance and I stayed at Olonana for a 4 days in mid-August.

We stayed here and at Bateleur. Since I was keen to compare the two, and few persons have stayed at both, I'll do that here. (Both got good reviews on Conde Nast Traveler’s Gold List).

The biggest thing Olonana has over Bateleur is location - Olonana is perched over the Mara River, and you can see hippos - mothers and babies - right under your tent (tents 1,2, and 3, I believe; also the outdoor dining area). We were in tent #1, highly recommend since it’s private, with hippo views, and right next to the lodge. The Mara River has a beautiful sound, like a waterfall. The sounds at Olonana could be recorded as white noise to city dwellers who can't sleep, it is so peaceful. Sounds by the Olonana pool are even more tranquil. You could spend a full day on your terrace just watching the hippos in the water, with a trip to the spa tucked in.

The spa was outstanding. When I booked it, there were a mama and baby elephant eating palms right across the river. This was the view from the 2 spa tents/rooms, which are completely open on the river side. How can you beat that? They used Africology, made from plants, and another line made with ocean plants etc. Excellent spa menu. I had a massage with copper & oil, and a pedicure. Both were great, and the African therapist used a different technique than the usual Swedish type in USA (fun!). (In contrast, Bateleur has no spa menu, no treatment rooms and very limited services – like 4 basic things that the manager recites along with prices, if you inquire).

The food is good. They assign a butler/server for your entire stay, and he was attentive, friendly, remembered what we liked to eat/drink, saved me a dessert from lunch that I wanted for dinner. There was a special barbecue one Friday night. Our room steward was also very good – everything spiffy when we got back from game drives, plus turn down service with hot water bottle (look deep in the bottom of your bed).

Both Olonana and Bateleur are near the park entrance. We booked a private driver and Toyota landcruiser with closed sides, windows, and a pop-top (through our travel agent). Thank god for that jeep. Boy, am I glad we didn’t have to travel in the open sided jeeps that both Olonana and Bateleur use. The guests looked miserable at times. It rained two of the afternoons, at about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Everyone ran to the lodge fireplace. Plus we woke at 5a each morning for game viewing, and it was dark & cold. Next time I will take a parka with a hood (no kidding). I’m glad I brought gloves, scarf, wool cap and sports bra recommended by other travelers. By the middle of the day, you peel down to a T-shirt and jeans, or even a light dress. Then start re-layering in late afternoon.

A stay at Olonana includes a complimentary tour of the local Masaai village. (At Bateleur, you have to pay). Benson was our guide, a nice Masaai man who works at Olonana’s gift shop, dressed in full Masaai costume as usual. You walk up the hill to the traditional mud and stick huts with diamond-shaped windows, where they demonstrate how to make fire from rubbing sticks (in less than one minute), talk about their culture, let you see inside one home/hut, take any photos for free, women do a welcome dance, and of course there is a large array of handcrafts for sale (expensive, but we got a few items as a thank you).

Olonana’s gift shop is a better place to buy the exact same souvenirs. It is excellent – very well-priced items made and sold by the local Masaai. We got a beautiful set of mahogany salad tongs, with elephants carved on top. About $6 USD. We’ve used them many times already.

Olonana has two queen beds in each very long tent, wooden floors, stone shower, low-ish ‘ceiling’, fresh flowers in a vase - a real luxury tent feel. All have private river views. (Bateleur has just one bigger-than-king bed, and boy is it super comfy, so probably a better choice for couples, unless you can afford more than one tent). Bring your own hair conditioner, Olonana has none. Also bring moisture cream and chapstick, it is so dry in the Mara, and the moisture cream Olonana provides is almost like water. Their actual tap water is not potable, so you have to brush your teeth with bottled water, which they provide.

We had a few tiny bumps in the road at Olonana. And by the way, they would be lost without their manager Maurice – who is marvelous and fixed things again & again for us, and is a tireless, gracious host. For instance, I had to ask when to get up for our balloon ride the next morning, because no one had informed us, and it was already late afternoon (the balloons take off before sunrise). A senior staff member didn’t know a thing about it, and asked me which balloon company we booked. I had no idea, this was between our tour operator and Olonana, and I got upset they might not show up – this is something Olonana should have already known & arranged. Maurice ended up fixing it, and the balloon ride was a highlight – definitely recommend it, even for the high price. We’ll never forget it. However, two unknown guests at Olonana ended up hitching a ride back in our private jeep, without anyone asking us until these guests were climbing in!
Again, this is a detail Olonana should have taken care of – either asking us the day before if it was okay, or even better, making the balloon company’s driver take the other guests back with everyone else.

Where would we stay again, Bateleur or Olonana? First of all, we would definitely stay in the Masai Mara during the migration period (July – Oct). It’s what we dreamed a safari would be like. There were animals everywhere. This, and a great guide, really make the safari. We saw lion up close many times, even witnessed a kill. Giraffe, elephant, black rhino, hippo, cape buffalo, a cheetah with 3 cubs, a crossing – wildebeest & zebra were everywhere – and unusual animals like “blue jeans” topi. Sometimes it felt like we were in Jurassic Park.

We spoke to a Dallas couple who’d been to Africa five times, and they said the Okavango Delta in Botswana (which has very posh lodges) just doesn’t have as many animals as the Mara. Enough said. So if you stay at either Olonana or Bateleur, you will have a glorious safari. Since Olonana has two queen beds in each tent, it is easier for a family or friends traveling.

But we’re talking about two of the best – Olonana deserves a much higher rating than they currently give it on Trip Advisor. It’s unfair that one bad and old review keeps them back. I promise you, it was an awesome place to stay on safari.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Queen1000
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

Everything is a dream, elegant, detailed, definitely perfect, from the luxory tends, the service, the stunning view, the cousine, the Spa. This is what I've really dreamed of Africa. Under each tent and the restaurant terrace there are two permanent hippos family. The tent number 1 is the best. Our private safari guide, Lucas is highly recommended, in 3 days he managed to show us all the big 5, a gytha family, 2 rinos and a leopard. The romantic pic nic lunch and breakfast in the savannah are something that you have to experience at least once in your lifetime. The spa in the middle of he nature is a true paradise and a such similar terapist is quite hard to find in a European spa. She is very well trained. Definitely an hidden very intimate jem. August is the best time to go and see the Great Migration. There are plenty of all animals everywhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vdavale
Miami Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

This camp is fantastic. The staff is very accomodating and Big John the Chef is great. Several menu choices. One day we wanted to stay in the park all day so he packed a great lunch for us. Boniface, our guide was excellent. Can't say enough good things. The Camp is just outside of the Oloololo gate. Between the camp and the Gate is a Maasai Village. Please go there. Very smart friendly people with a great culture. Stay there. By the way read Wiilbur Smiths "Assegai" All of the lessons learned are referenced in the book. A great pre or post read. You will agree. This was the trip of a lifetime. My pictures are stunning. Everyone thinks I am a photographer. Going to take a class now.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
TA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

We just returned from a 4 nights stay at the Olonana, Masai Mara. As we have 4 children from 5 yrs to 16 yrs with various interests and needs, we did an extensive research before selecting the Olonana hoping to find a place that would combine outstanding location, comfort and excellent services, top guides with being attentive to and safe for children. This is not easy as some of the better camps are not suitable for children. I am glad to say that the Olonana delivered 100%. The staff went out of their way to cater to all our need. Beginning with Maurice in charge of fulfilling all Clients wishes whatever they may be whenever they are rerquired, continuing with John that provided us with great and friendly service at the table, Big John, the Chef actually responsible for the wonderful cooking, Bonnie our 'hot and learned' safari guide and his intern, Nelson who took me up on a wanderful steep climb up the Sirian Escarpment, and last but not least, Joseph the butler who kept us pampered and cosy at the tents and woke us up every morning for our safari ride with coffee and cookies to the bed. The camp is very spacious so you benefit from a great sence of privacy and each tent has two comfortable double beds, convenient for keeping all the children together. Perhaps the only shortfall I would care to note is the shower's weak hot water pressure, although this may be understandable due to eco-friendly hitting system used. We are travelling quite a lot with the children and would have no hesitation in reccomending the Olonana for an unforgetable stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Natiel
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

We arrived at the Olonana lodge having fled from Tipilikwani 2 hour and 60 km earlier. Olonana is everything it claims to be and more. It is a beautiful lodge situated just outside the Masai Mara game reserve on the banks of the Mara River. The 14 fixed tents which are laid out along the river are huge and luxurious. Each has its own en-suite bathroom and veranda overlooking the river, which is full of Hippos. The service is truly outstanding with some of the friendliest staff I have ever come across.
Laundry service is included, which I found a great bonus.
The restaurant is very good serving high quality food and a good selection of wine, and best of all the price of the drinks were fair. Its location just outside the Mara reserve means that you can be in the reserve within minutes; it also means that wildlife viewing starts at camp. One morning I was surprised to see a Sykes mountain monkey – the first I had ever seen merrily eating the breakfast cakes I had left on the veranda, my reaction, fantastic! This is the kind of surprise I want when travelling.
On several evenings on returning to Olonana we were held up at the road near the campsite by a large herd of 25 – 30 elephants including many very young individuals ambling along and eating. I can’t think of a more wonderful reason for being delayed. If you want to experience African wildlife in quiet and comfortable surroundings, away form the hubbub of the masses of visitors that frequent some of the other larger lodges. You can do no better than spend a few nights at Olonana Camp we booked 2 nights but ended up staying for 3 and could have stayed much, much longer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends