Last month we spent a week at Olonana on the Masa Mara in Kenya. The lodge was outstanding, the food excellent, and the equipment in good condition. The most impressive part of the trip, other then the wildlife drives, was the operation led by Mr. King. He and his staff (Mr. Nixon, Phillip, Ambrose, and Kristine) made us feel at home. I could tell by all of the staff that Mr. King motovated them. The were clean, prompt, and pleasant.
Another bonus of the trip was our driver and guide, Joseph. Last year he was selected as the top guide, out of 700 guides in Kenya, in the entire country. He was knowledgeable in all the flora and fauna in the area. He constantly found the big five as well as many species of birds and smaller mammals. Joseph provided bush breakfasts and lunches out with the wildlife.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Olonana, our award-winning tented camp situated on a private stretch of the Mara River, recently undergone a significant upgrade to the public areas of the lodge as well as a soft refurbishment to the tented rooms and pool area. The interior decor reflects a contemporary design using a combination of light earthy tones and the local Maasai women played an active part in the refurbishment using the same traditional technique used in their own houses to “mud” the interior walls in all of the main areas and curio shop. From the main viewing deck see and hear the family of noisy hippos who colonise the banks below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, experience traditional African remedies and spa treatments in the mini-spa. Oversized Safari Tents – Built on the banks of the Mara River, the twelve canvas tents at Sanctuary Olonana are extremely comfortable and spacious. The ensuite tents all have two four-poster beds with floor to ceiling mosquito netting – making them perfect for families travelling with small children. Each of the private verandas overlook the river and offer the perfect spot where guests can relax and watch the resident hippos wallow in the water. There are also two honeymoon suites with each featuring outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda and Hotwire so you can book your Sanctuary Olonana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Olonana Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sanctuary Olonana Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve