Words seem insufficient for my experience at the Sanctuary Retreats !! This was my first experience in the wild and was completely worth it !
We spent 4 nights here, with the best intuitive service and excellent Gourmet food!
Rosemary (based in Nairobi) assisted us with all the booking, picked us up at the Nairobi airport and drove us to the local airport to take the short flight to the Masai Mara. Tip: Carry minimum luggage, cause the local flight has a weight restriction.
About an hour later we landed in the jungle on an airstrip used by Zebra's to roll on....We were greeted by the Resort Staff with a local Masai....do not forget to click pictures with them :)
On arriving at the hotel, they welcomed us with a refreshing drink and the whole staff singing a welcome song with a guitarist accompanying them....a really special welcome I must say !
We had a corner cottage overlooking the river full of Hippo's that woke us up every morning, just in time for the Morning Game Drives...
The cottage comes with a butler...and ours the most pleasant and intuitive as ever! Beautiful shower here (overlooking the river) !
Tip: Test the walky-talky that is provided to you, since that is the only mode of communication with the reception/other staff for any kind of service.
Since we were here in December 2011, the climate was perfect (warm during the day and chill during the nights).
The chef created a new dish every singe day, and kept our likes n dislikes in mind...Food, drinks, everything was just perfect.
It starts with a flask of hot tea and some cookies, as your wake-up alarm before your morning game drive....then either breakfast on returning or a super safari breakfast in the middle of the jungle can also be arranged!
It moves onto lunch and then a light snack before the evening game drive.
Then sun-downers on the way back to the resort..followed by an excellent much awaited dinner!!!
The evenings are the best at the Sanctuary Retreats, with the fire place, wine, beautiful live strumming of the guitar, candle-lit ambiance and really hospitable and interesting people at the resort to spend time with. They share their experiences and can tell you about the Masai Mara like nobody else !!
Lucas was our guide for the 4 days of awesome Safari Experience we had here. He knows the jungle and is one of the best guides you can get !!!
Tip: carry your rain-jackets, since it rains during this time...
This was my first safari experience and ever since have had 5 more, but Sanctuary Retreats was by far the best....
PS: Don't forget to try the spa as well !!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Olonana, our award-winning tented camp situated on a private stretch of the Mara River, recently undergone a significant upgrade to the public areas of the lodge as well as a soft refurbishment to the tented rooms and pool area. The interior decor reflects a contemporary design using a combination of light earthy tones and the local Maasai women played an active part in the refurbishment using the same traditional technique used in their own houses to “mud” the interior walls in all of the main areas and curio shop. From the main viewing deck see and hear the family of noisy hippos who colonise the banks below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, experience traditional African remedies and spa treatments in the mini-spa. Oversized Safari Tents – Built on the banks of the Mara River, the twelve canvas tents at Sanctuary Olonana are extremely comfortable and spacious. The ensuite tents all have two four-poster beds with floor to ceiling mosquito netting – making them perfect for families travelling with small children. Each of the private verandas overlook the river and offer the perfect spot where guests can relax and watch the resident hippos wallow in the water. There are also two honeymoon suites with each featuring outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Sanctuary Olonana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Olonana Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sanctuary Olonana Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve