I used to live in Kenya and did many safaris in several parks and in many resorts in the Mara. Olonana is the only resort that I've returned to. They do not disappoint. The location along the Mara River is spectacular. The staff are outstanding. The food rivals the best restaurants in the world. The tents are incredibly comfortable and beautifully appointed, with a huge veranda overlooking the river. The drivers are knowledgeable and friendly, speaking English clearly. With only 12 tents at the site, it's nice and quiet. You feel as if you own the place. I would highly recommend Olonana to anyone looking to safari in the Mara.
We traveled the first week in November when the prices are much cheaper, and we were blessed with being able to see the migration, one of the great wonders of the world. We stayed in tent #3, and had a family of hippos right across the river from us. Their grunts and snorts are amusing. They may keep you awake if you're a light sleeper. Further down the path towards tent 12 gets you closer to the rapids. In my opinion, the rapids were a bit too loud, but some may like it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanctuary Olonana, our award-winning tented camp situated on a private stretch of the Mara River, recently undergone a significant upgrade to the public areas of the lodge as well as a soft refurbishment to the tented rooms and pool area. The interior decor reflects a contemporary design using a combination of light earthy tones and the local Maasai women played an active part in the refurbishment using the same traditional technique used in their own houses to “mud” the interior walls in all of the main areas and curio shop. From the main viewing deck see and hear the family of noisy hippos who colonise the banks below the camp. Relax with a good book in the library, cool off in the pool or for an extra special treat, experience traditional African remedies and spa treatments in the mini-spa. Oversized Safari Tents – Built on the banks of the Mara River, the twelve canvas tents at Sanctuary Olonana are extremely comfortable and spacious. The ensuite tents all have two four-poster beds with floor to ceiling mosquito netting – making them perfect for families travelling with small children. Each of the private verandas overlook the river and offer the perfect spot where guests can relax and watch the resident hippos wallow in the water. There are also two honeymoon suites with each featuring outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Sanctuary Olonana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Olonana Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sanctuary Olonana Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve