As much as I had read and researched to try and expect what a safari would be like, nothing prepared me for our stay at Governor's in October this year. We obviously had an idea that it was going to be good having read a lot of reviews, but nothing beats your own experiences so we had an open mind. The moment we stepped from the plane and were met by a member of staff and driven the short distance to the camp we were under the spell. In my excitement at seeing two Cheetahs on a termite hill by the track my sun glasses fell out of the Landrover. My first instinct was to just get out, run back and pick them up until I remembered exactly where we were!! However, there was not one moment when we felt in any danger, even though these beautiful animals are free to roam wherever they please. We were so lucky to be given Dominic as our driver for our 4 day stay. We were even more fortunate that we had him all to ourselves for the entire time. He was just amazing and meeting him went a long way to making this adventure so perfect. The camp itself is fabulous. I am not naturally a camping sort of girl but this is not camping as I have ever known it. Showers, plenty of hot water, the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in and the most wonderful location. My husband and I were celebrating a special wedding anniversary and the staff really made a fuss of us. We have never felt so privilaged and we can't wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' Camp nestles on the banks of the Mara River in the heart of the most prolific game viewing area of the Masai Mara. One of only a handful of camps located within the Masai Mara Game Reserve the setting is magical. Half of the tents overlook the rolling grasslands of Africa, with views of elephant, zebra and gazelle; the rest are tucked away in the forest lining the banks of the Mara River. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Governor's Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governor`s Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors Camp
- Governor's Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve