I had no clue what to expect and got a wonderful surprise. The location is beautiful, having meals under shade trees by a river with hippos moving about (do not fear, Askaris are there to protect),absolutely delicious food and very good service. And that was only the beginning.
Our tent overlooked the river, was comfortable and pleasantly appointed with a roomy bathroom with warm water and flush toilet.
The game drives were beautiful and full of surprises with a variety of wild animals and birds that I had never hoped to see, and so many situations that were theatre of the wild, one could hardly imagine. I will spare you the details. So many people have described the scenes they witnessed and I dare say, we all had different ones in front of us.
Our guide, Moses, was an excellent driver and very knowledgeable guide, who has worked as such for over 15 years.
The camp makes a very big effort to have the guests feel pampered and satisfied with the last detail and, hard to believe, but out there in the African Savannah, wi-fi was available in a special small building!
I highly recommend this camp for a wonderful experience of wildlife in the African Savannah and can't wait to have some friends from the US visit so I can take them there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' Camp nestles on the banks of the Mara River in the heart of the most prolific game viewing area of the Masai Mara. One of only a handful of camps located within the Masai Mara Game Reserve the setting is magical. Half of the tents overlook the rolling grasslands of Africa, with views of elephant, zebra and gazelle; the rest are tucked away in the forest lining the banks of the Mara River. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Governor's Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governor`s Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors Camp
- Governor's Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve