Recently stayed on a 3 night safari in April. It was a great experience and the camp is first class. From the time they pick you up at the air strip to when you leave they take care of everything. The staff is great, the food is excellent and there's plenty of it, the location is the best. My guide did an excellent job of making sure everyone enjoyed each safari drive and knew so much about the animals. It was very exciting and educational. I would highly recommend the camp to anyone thinking of going on safari to the Masai.
Some minor drawbacks, and these are very minor, was that it is unclear what to tip the staff. It was obvious that the tips made up a large part of their income but myself and other camp guests were unsure of what to tip. A couple of the staff seemed disappointed with their tips even though they were higher than what was recommended. Additionally, the vehicles could use a little better maintenance. Liked the older RR's but needed a little more maintenance as a few times ours stalled out, we had to swap out one as it had to be repaired, etc. Still was a great experience and would highly recommend to anyone who wants to go on a true safari.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' Camp nestles on the banks of the Mara River in the heart of the most prolific game viewing area of the Masai Mara. One of only a handful of camps located within the Masai Mara Game Reserve the setting is magical. Half of the tents overlook the rolling grasslands of Africa, with views of elephant, zebra and gazelle; the rest are tucked away in the forest lining the banks of the Mara River. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com and Booking.com so you can book your Governor's Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governor`s Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors Camp
- Governor's Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve