I have wanted to go on safari for as long as I can remember - and am so glad that we chose Governors' Camp in the Masai Mara to fulfill my dream!
The location of the camp, next to the river in the middle of the reserve, means that not only do you see lions, cheetahs, wildebeest, zebra and elephants (to name but a few!) as soon as you head out on each game drive, but also elephants, buffalo and hippos wander into the camp if they feel like it! The whole time we were there, I felt like I was living in the animals' environment, rather than them having had to adapt to our environment - which was exactly what I wanted.
Samuel, our driver, contributed so much to our enjoyment - as he managed to find all the Big 5, and much more besides. Seeing lionesses calling their cubs out of a hiding place underground and greeting them at sunrise is an experience I will remember forever.
When I was booking my safari, I looked at other camps that had infinity pools, saunas and other 'luxuries' - but I'm glad I didn't waste my money on these, as Governors' ensure your time is wonderfully filled with 3 game drives a day; and I wouldn't have wanted to give any of this game drive time up to lie by the pool!
Our tent was very comfortable - the bed was so big we could hardly see each other! The hot water bottle the staff put in while you're having dinner is a nice touch, and the en-suite facilities were excellent.
I would recommend Governors' Camp to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Governors' Camp nestles on the banks of the Mara River in the heart of the most prolific game viewing area of the Masai Mara. One of only a handful of camps located within the Masai Mara Game Reserve the setting is magical. Half of the tents overlook the rolling grasslands of Africa, with views of elephant, zebra and gazelle; the rest are tucked away in the forest lining the banks of the Mara River. Governors has been pioneering immersive and transformational safaris in the Mara since 1972. We were the first operators to be permanently based inside the Mara, our site was chosen for its prime location and was the designated “getaway” for the Governors of Kenya. Unfenced and right in the heart of the action. Our camps are Located in some of the best and most precious Wildlife Locations in the world. We are a family with a colourful cast of characters that embodies the spirit of safari, while placing the care of the environment, community and conservation at the heart of everything we do. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Governor's Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governor`s Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Governors Camp
- Governor's Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve