Rekero Camp did not disappoint in anyway of our expectations of the Masai Mara and Kenya. The game was incredible and we were fortunate enough to see the Big 5 during our 3 night stay. Having never been to the Masai Mara we were not sure what to expect by way of game or scenery. It didn't take long before we were all standing up in our jeep, completely mesmerised by the landscape. We counted no less than 10 species on our drive from the airstrip to the camp! Incredible. We were also fortunate that the rains had been earlier in the month and we were blessed with green open plains. Our guide, Onesmus, was outstanding.
The highlight of the trip was watching 3 cheetah siblings hunt on 3 different occasions. The speed of the chase, the animals behaviours, the warning calls from birds, all made for an unforgettable safari experience. This was our 3rd trip back to Africa and on our first trip we never saw cheetah - so for us this was incredible. Whilst the cheetah never achieved their objective of a successful hunt it was with mixed feelings that we saw 2 lions hunt and kill a warthog. The chase, the power, the strategy and the carnage after the kill gave us a great insight into the 'circle of life' in the animal kingdom. Conway and Clea were amazing hosts. The camp and facilities were outstanding and each evening we looked forward to sitting around the campfire exchanging stories of the day. So much of our experience was defined by the people at the camp and one of our special highlights would have been playing soccer with the staff on a makeshift soccer field in the middle of the Masai Mara. Outstanding! Travelling with our sons, a 17 and a 19 year old, it reminded us all that we don't need playstation, Facebook and twitter to enjoy life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deep within Kenya's Maasai Mara National Reserve, Rekero offers a spectacular location from which to watch the Great Migration as the wildebeest thunder across the river just outside camp. This traditional East African camp evokes the romance of safaris from a bygone era. The elegant tents form a tranquil oasis perched stategically above the mighty Talek River. The sweeping views from camp take in the surrounding plains, which support some of the greatest concentrations and diversity of wildlife in Africa. The cherry on top is the warm hospitality of our team and our world-renowned game-viewing guides with years of expertise - in such good hands you are ensured an incomparable Maasai Mara safari experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve