As a serious amateur wildlife photographer, I got exactly what I wanted. 4 fantastic days with hot coffee in my luxurious tent at 6 a.m., escorted to my vehicle by 6:30 for first light photo opportunities with my driver/guide, Martin, and spotter, Risa. I thought I was pretty good at spotting game but these two had me feeling like a beginner, they were excellent, some they would see that I had trouble seeing even with binoculars. They did everything I asked for, positioning, lighting angles, and situations as well as the animals I wanted. As a result I have some great shots and sequences, from a lioness killing a wildebeest to babies/families of various kinds to portrait type photos.
At my request, breakfast was out in the bush during a break in shooting, return for lunch under a shade tree at 1 (and some of the best honey I have ever tasted) and rest up for departure at 4 for afternoon game drive, back to camp after dark to shower before the 8 p.m. great candlelight dinners with hosts and fellow travelers before being escorted back to my tent.
Camping by the river with only 9 guest tents means animal sounds abound, hippos, lions, hyenas, zebras, jackals at night and birds in the morning, most of which can be seen or photographed right from or within camp, all of which is much more to my photographic liking than in larger and more commercial hotel like accommodations.
I was greeted by name at every turn by every employee, all of whom seemed anxious to provide me with anything I wanted or needed. Laundry was neatly folded and on my bed when I returned from afternoon game drive, a hot water bottle in the bed when I returned from dinner.
This was my second - and by far the best - trip to Africa. Rekero was a perfect compliment to my 4 days at the sister camp, Naboisho.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deep within Kenya's Maasai Mara National Reserve, Rekero offers a spectacular location from which to watch the Great Migration as the wildebeest thunder across the river just outside camp. This traditional East African camp evokes the romance of safaris from a bygone era. The elegant tents form a tranquil oasis perched stategically above the mighty Talek River. The sweeping views from camp take in the surrounding plains, which support some of the greatest concentrations and diversity of wildlife in Africa. The cherry on top is the warm hospitality of our team and our world-renowned game-viewing guides with years of expertise - in such good hands you are ensured an incomparable Maasai Mara safari experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve