“June '12 - Rekero Camp is unsurpassed!”

Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa
Houston, Texas
“June '12 - Rekero Camp is unsurpassed!”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Oh the joy of staying in Kenya out on the Mara. I HUGE factor when planning our trip was how many tents were there. Rekero has about 7-8 tents and the attention to detail to making your trip fun, comfortable and enjoyable was perfect. Martin was our guide - do yourself a favor - request him. He makes your trip fun, safe and I swear he has eyes out the back of his head-he can see animals in places the animals don't even know they are in!

Clea and Conway - our hosts - were the most enjoyable couple. There was no request that went unattended. The food served at Rekero was the best while in Kenya. The tents were extremely clean, the showers nice and warm. I thought lighting was to be a problem but it wasn't. The lamps are solar powered and give off just the lighting you should need, even for reading. Tent #2 was sheer perfection. Try to stay in it - except when I plan my next visit to Rekero 'cause I do plan on returning and staying in it!

Thank you, thank you Clea and Conway........you have truly put a smile on this Texas girls face!!!

Room Tip: #2 - not too far from camp and right on the river.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Rekero Camp for 3 days in February. We were met at the Ol Kimbo Airstrip by our Maasi guide, Sami who always wore the traditional, bright, red cloth, Maasi native dress. Camp is but a 20 minute drive and just minutes from the airstrip our guide spotted a cheetah resting under a bush. Shortly after we saw elephants, antelope, and a small group of funny tailed warthogs. Upon arrival at Rekero we were welcomed with a cool towel and a cold fruit treat. Much appreciated as it gets hot mid-day, reaching to the low 90’s while we were there. Our tent, spaced nicely from the others, had all the amenities, including, solar powered lanterns and a “bucket” shower filled with hot water for you anytime you wanted it. Just had to ask. At our tent’s entrance was a small “veranda” with two chairs and table facing toward the river. Perfect. The camp accommodates up to 16 guests so the evenings are a nice chance to meet fellow travelers from all over the world. After the social hour, dinner was served at a communal table in the large reception tent. Most enjoyable; and the food is excellent, especially when you consider you’re in the bush far, far away from civilization. We were awakened at 6 am by two watchmen who had stood guard all night, as wildlife often visits at night. They brought coffee, biscuits and juice – typical of the personal service rendered by camp staff. Then, at 6:30 we were off with our guide in the Land cruiser to view the wildlife – zebras, gazelles, lion pride, and a rare black rhino. We stopped under a shade tree on the bank of the Mara River for a picnic breakfast the camp had packed for us. Although dry season and the river low, there were still hippos and crocodiles to see. Return for lunch and siesta time like the wildlife during the mid-day heat. Then off again late afternoon for more wildlife viewing and photographing. Found two leopards lounging in a tree. But then as we drove off our guide saw a troop of baboons. He quickly turned around and went back, saying “this should be interesting”. Sure enough when they saw the leopards it was like lightening as they exploded racing up the tree to attack them. One got away; the other was trapped literally out on a limb. But the baboons couldn’t get to it so we had a Mexican standoff. Having made their point the baboons finally trooped off. The following day we finally found a male lion just before dusk. Got pretty close to it and as I look at the photo’s we took I do believe it may have been Aslan. Our travel agent, Africa Calls, could not have selected a better place than Rekero for our brief Kenyan Safari. The camp is hospitable, well managed (Clayton, Clea and Marianna), the Maasi guide/drivers like Sami and Simon superb, and the staff and its cooks just wonderful. One suggestion. Ask to visit (if not stay a night or so) at the other nearby Rekero camp. We did, and enroute had chance to visit the Maasi Guide Training School which we found well worthwhile. Drive is about an hour and terrain quite different as you pass from a broad plain with herds of wildlife, though a barren, dusty overgrazed section bordering the National Reserve, into a Conservancy area with acacia trees still standing, to the other camp. It is new and luxurious, while the camp we stayed at is a bit more rustic -which we prefer. Great experience, great camp. Rates a 10. John

Room Tip: The rooms are very comfortable safari tents with plenty of space to move around. There is no pool o...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank johnj730
Aspen, Colorado, United States
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Having stayed at 10 different camps in the Mara my time at Rekero was a truly unique and special experience. The accommodations, food, staff, guides, and atmosphere gave me the holistic experience I had been searching for during my many trips to East Africa.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank potterbl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Rekero was the perfect place to experience the Masai Mara! The tents are nice and when we were there they were telling us about their upcoming renovations to the mess tent (Which is pretty nice anyway!)

It's right in the centre of the reserve and is easy to get to pretty much anywhere you want to go.

The only downside to our experience had nothing to do with Rekero at all, but to be honest we were really disappointed in the lack of courtesy and regulation with regards to game viewing. Yes, we saw some wonderful sightings (leopard with bubs, lion with cubs etc), but at times there were over 25 vehicles trying to watch the same animal (poor thing!). We also spent some time in the conservancies adjoining the Mara and I would definitely stay there again - you see the same wildlife, BUT they have regulated game viewing (ie, there is a maximum number of vehicles allowed at any one sighting! and it is an 'honour code' amongst the camps and our driver said they all stuck to it which is great news). The other really positive thing about the conservancies is that no mini-busses or day visitors to the Mara are allowed onto the conservancy, so you will literally only see the people staying at your camp and MAYBE at one of the other camps... it was a much better game viewing experience.

Next time I go to the Mara I'll definitely stay in the conservancy and just drive into the actual reserve for a day trip.

That all being said, Rekero was really nice and if you do choose to stay in the Mara, I don't know if you can beat this place for location and experience.

Enjoy your Kenyan adventures!

Room Tip: All the tents are on the river anyway, so I don't think it really matters...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I spent several nights at Rekero in March on the recommendation of a friend who has stayed there three times. We can understand why she keeps returning - it's a slice of heaven in an amazing, otherworldly place. Run by a family devoted to conservation of the Masai since 1946, this small camp features incredibly comfortable tents, delicious gourmet food (and excellent wine), beautiful, natural grounds on a picturesque river, and a terrific staff. Our hosts, Clea and Conway, were delightful people and thoughful hosts; our guide Martin went out of his way to enable my husband, who is legally blind, to experience as much of the fauna and flora as possible. And we certainly did - everything from cheetahs killing a warthog to leopards mating! And by the way, no sharing the vehicle with strangers - at Rekero each family group or single visitor rides in their own vehicle with the same guide for all of their game drives. It's really the only way to go. All the rest of the staff - from the young man who organized our hot bucket showers to the night watchmen who kept us safe from visiting hippos and elephants - were also uncommonly kind, thoughful, and professional. One dreams of returning soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rekacs2556
Fall City, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I just returned from a 4 night stay at Rekero with my family and we had a fantastic time! The staff at Rekero are so professional, friendly and knowledgeable about the area and the animals. We loved our spotter and guide. The tented camp was comfortable and the food was great too. I hope to return there again soon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Judy N
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I just returned from a four night stay at Rekero. I'm a young guy, and I'm now worried that I'll never have another vacation that can live up to the experience I had at Rekero and the Mara. I’m kidding, but you get the point. This place really is that good. I went with a few colleagues after a business trip to Nairobi and on our way from the air strip to the camp, our guide Sammy led us to a pride of lions, which included two cubs. By the next morning, we'd seen all the animals amateur safarists come to see. Probably a lot of luck, but Sammy and our guide-in-training Simon were terrific. Then there is the camp itself. It overlooks a small river that’s home to many hippos. It blends into the bush nicely and isn't gaudy or intrusive like a number of other camps in the area. It’s a small and intimate place. It has a relatively small environmental footprint and they are actively taking measures to reduce it further (the were conducting an internal environmental audit during my stay). The camp is run by the amiable Conway and Clea along with a team of local staff that happen to have extraordinary cooking skills. The service includes just about everything….they bring coffee to your tent in the morning, provide daily laundry service, guard the camp, and make sure you are safe while allowing the hippos and elephants to graze around the camp at night. It's like five star living and camping at the same time---two things that normally don't go together.

Advice: If you go for a few days, and I’d suggest you go for at least three days if you can afford it (it’s not cheap and I’ll forever be thankful I’m lucky enough to have enjoyed such an experience), you might consider taking a walking safari offered by Rekero’s nearby sister camp. The driving safari is great and allows you to cover a lot of ground and see more big animals (and gives you a greater sense of security), but it’s easy to miss the little things. I also find hiking the best way to enjoy nature. Another activity to consider is visiting a local Maasai village. I did this and my guides experienced great pleasure watching me attempt to do a local dance.

Room Tip: you may want to request a tent that overlooks the river. I think most do, but not all.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends