“Truly authentic and 'highly' recommended...!”

Rekero Camp, Asilia Africa
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Rekero is simply fabulous. We have had the good fortune to travel to the Masi Mara several times, each time we have been it has been a different experience. Whilst there are many places to stay in The Mara, our recent stay at Rekero has quite simply given us an easy choice to make when we next visit. Rekero is authentic, personal, private and incredibly comforting. The tents themselves are as you would expect in a luxury camp and more. All essentials are provided for in a truly stunning setting on the banks of the Talek River. However, it is not the tents that sets Rekero apart, it is the staff and management. From the personal welcome and greeting on arrival to the fabulous dining experiences on offer, the 'people' at rekero really do make your stay memorable. The management team of Clea and Conway run and manage an amazing team of individuals from driver guides to freindly daily faces around the camp. You even feel the passion of the staff that work behind the scenes to make your stay a truly authentic safari experience. From a game viewing perspective REkero is perfectly located. Close to the Mara River and equally close to forested areas and plains, teh viweing opportunites are literally on your door step. On this particular stay we even had Cheetah within a eye shot of where we had lunch on the banks of the Talek. Rekero is highly recommended to anyone, regardless if you are first time Safari goers or indeed the seasoned Safari enthusiasts. A truly suberb experience and well done the entire team for maiking our stay the most enjoyable to date. We will be returning soon!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hedley G

Reviewed October 16, 2011

I wrote a long review a couple of weeks ago and uploaded photos etc and then the computer had a hissy fit and all was lost at which point I gave up.

But on reflection, Rekero was so wonderful that I thought it deserved some effort on my behalf to make sure it got the recognitition it deserved.

This is a tented camp and I understand there are more luxiourious ones, but I can't imagine what more you would want or need.

The location was perfect; at the meeting of the Talek and Mara rivers and from our tent we had a view of the river including all the wildlife in it and up on to the banks on the other side where the migration was going on right in front of us.

Our guide, Mark, was incredible. Not only did he seem to have an instinct for finding the animals and getting the best place for watching them, but he knew all the latin names (and how to spell them!) of the local flora.

The food, which was an unexpected aspect, was fantastic. The flavours were perfect and the service just the right balance of formal and fun.

Clea and Conway are managing the camp with a team including Johnson, Cleo, and unfortunately now I've left it over a month since we're back, others whose names escape me but all of whom helped to make this a very special and memorable stay.

We were travelling as (an older) mother and daughter.

Room Tip: I think all the tents have a good view, but in case not, ask for one with a river view
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed in Rekero for 5 nights: a group of 10 photographers on a trip with Muench workshops, organized by Ker and Downey Tradition Safaris. The camp is perfectly situated on the river, with beautifully appointed luxury tents, well spaced apart for privacy. The common area for dining was also set up for easy flexibility for different sized groups, with option to dine outside or inside by candlelight. A photography workstation for 12 was provided with ease. Lunch was set up outside, under the trees, with option for viewing wildebeest river crossing, if available! The food was delicious and varied, with great attention to detail each day. Conway and Clea, together with Seb were wonderful hosts, and made us feel part of the family; Martin and Sammy were spectacularly good and knowledgeable drivers, and we found a great deal of superb wildlife viewing very close to camp. This is definitely a place to return to.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Rekero is a great place and a great experience. We stayed for 2 nights which was perfect for us. Despite being a tented camp it feels pretty luxurious and the food in particular was excellent. The friendliness and care of the team was fantastic and made our stay extra special. However, we were shocked and appalled by the intensity of traffic in the Masai Mara reserve. One sighting of a leopard resulted in a jam of 16 jeeps trying to see it. At least one attempt at a migration crossing by wildebeest was aborted by over enthusiastic drivers getting too close and scaring the animals. It must be said this was not true of the Rekero guide, who once we had told our preference for spotting animals in the wild without people, was happy to facilitate this. However we were also told that this was coming to the end of the season,at it's peak in can be up to 40 vehicles in pursuit apparently. Personally we felt very uneasy about being a part of this. It didn't stop us seeing some fantastic game though, just in other, quieter areas, of which there were plenty, especially early and late in the day.
There is so much to see here, get out there and see it! Then enjoy coming home to a lovely place, great food and friendly people. (and enjoy some great wildlife viewing within the camp itself!)

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank mpuddick
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Family of 5 (including our 3 boys 18-22). Our middle turned 21 at the camp and the staff had a cake for him which he had difficulty slicing. When he was ready to serve the 1st piece the manager suggested that our son may want to think about it twice as it was "elephant dung covered with chocolate" - we had a great enough and so did all the other guests and the birthday boy was then presented with a cake that he was able to share with all. We had the most delicious meals with pickles,and on one occasion even chapatis and fish curry and the "tomato tree" fruit (tamarillo) which I loved. Tried and loved "scotch eggs" the 1st time.
The boys played soccer with all the staff which was a great experience for them.
Sammi was our knowledgeable warrior respectable guide and the staff were awesome. Joseph and Honest were always courteous and friendly at the meal table ready to lend a helping hand. Johnson had the biggest smile and enthusiasm and one could not miss his cologne in the middle of the Mara.
The bush dinner was beautiful with lanterns and a big fire by the river. On my request for the restroom one of the tall warriors offered me his hand leading me through the darkness with bow and arrow in his other hand. And there was my husband holding on to my other hand as we walked through the sand. It was quite a site!
Clea and Conway do a wonderful job managing the place with Seb - our hats off to this young team. Our boys loved it and say given half a chance would work there. We were given a sumptuous packed lunch as we departed which was extremely thoughtful as we definitely needed that before we reached our next camp.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2011

An amazing adventure as my kids would say. If you get a chance and go to Kenya, this is a can't miss stop. Incredible staff, animal viewing, and accomidations. Great place in the middle of the migration. Guides were superb with their animal knowledge and very kind and accomidating.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2011

What an incredible experience we had at Rekero. The location, hosting and guiding has to be some of the best in the Mara. My family of 4 had a family tent, and then we had another tent for my parents. We were very happy with the family tent (despite having only one bathroom and two almost teenage daughters!), especially because one night in the middle of the night there was a lot of commotion outside with an elephant, buffalo and lions. It was loud. I was glad we were all in the same tent! The tents are definitely on the rustic side, but I think everyone knows that coming into it. I view Rekero as more of the true safari experience as opposed to the luxury safari experince. While you won't get the luxury here that you can at some places (ie. - two bathrooms in a family tent), what you do get here absolutely makes up for that. As I mentioned already, the location is magnificent. The camp sits right on the Talek River with the most incredible view. You can watch a river crossing and a lot of wildlife from the comfort of your armchair with a tasty beverage in hand. The lunches and dinners are gourmet events. How they manage that in the middle of the wilderness is beyond me. Clea, Conway, Seb and Johnston were all such amazing hosts! One of my daughters had her 12th birthday here, and Clea arranged an incredible celebration after dinner with Maasai dancing, a birthday cake and a very lovely bracelet for my daughter. It was so special! My daughter is going to have a hard time topping that in the future! Our driver/guide was John, and he was an incredible wealth of knowledge and had an extraordinary instinct as to where we would or wouldn't find the wildlife. We feel very lucky to have been able to spend the time with him that we did. Thank you to all of you!!! You guys are the best.
To those of you considering this camp, I would strongly urge you to go. Rekero is the real deal. If I am ever lucky enough to return to the Maasai Mara, I would absolutely return to Rekero.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are right on the hippo filled river with come complete with all kinds of wildlife c...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family