“Mara Simba - A Great End To Our Safari”
Review of Mara Simba Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mara Simba Lodge
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Recently returned from a Best of Kenya Safari booked through REAL AFRICA in the UK (a company we would highly recommend).

We stayed three nights at the Mara Simba Lodge and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The accommodation comprised of lodges dotted through well-kept grounds situated on the banks of the river. The staff were great, the food was varied and of good quality and there is a nice swimming pool area to relax (and enjoy a glass of Tusker) in between the early morning and late afternoon game drives.

As with lots of holiday accommodation all over the world, power points for the charging of cameras, I-pads, mobile phones and your electric toothbrush etc. are always at a premium. It is therefore useful to pack a 3 or 4 way extension block (mains system the same as the UK).

The huge and famous Masai Mara is of course fantastic - especially if you want to see lions.We certainly needed the three nights to cover the area properly and to maximise the game viewing experience.

We really enjoyed our experience at Mara Simba and it was a great end to our two week Safari. Our rating of 4 stars only reflects that during the 2 weeks in Kenya we stayed at a couple of other lodges that were even better!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Mara Simba Lodge was our first stop on a 7 day safari. The location was perfect. The staff were, without exception, friendly, welcoming and helpful. The food was varied, well presented and tasty. We stayed in room 12. overlooking the river and saw a variety of birds and deer from the balcony. The hippos and crocodile could be seen from the restaurant and appeared on queue at each mealtime. The highlight of the stay was being able to see a leopard during our second game drive as well as a pride of lions basking in the sun.

Room Tip: First floor room gives a better view of the river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CCCT1
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed it. Comfortable rooms with balconies overlooking the river (and a crocodile and a family of hippos in our case!), great food in the restaurant and really lovely staff. I wasn't well on our first night here (not the hotel's fault!!) and they were most concerned when my husband mentioned it at dinner, offering to send my dinner to the room and call their resident Physician for me if needed. The laundry is super speedy and good value (if you're on a long trip!). The fire and music in the bar is wonderfully atmospheric. We would definitely return.

2  Thank Helen S
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Mara Simba was our very first stay 17-19 Sept 13 whilst on an 8 day safari starting at Masai Mara and ending at Salt Lick in Taita Hills, and despite the luxury of what came after Mara Simba I would still give it an excellent rating. We are a family of 4 - Dad, mum and a 20+ and 19 year old.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful - I don't think there is anybody outside of the UK who knows as much about football as Eric the waiter but then he is an Arsenal fan! So we had some lovely chats with him during lunch and dinner.

Food was excellent and plentiful and catered for all tastes and even for picky eaters.

We had early and tiring game drives so we were in bed early after after dinner and a couple of games of pool (clean off the bat droppings first off the table!) The bats were hanging overhead so it was unavoidable. Whilst we were there is rained heavily and a crocodile had come down to the water - apparently there was also a baby but we didn't see it.

We didn't get a chance to use the pool because of the rain but it looked nice.

In essence we really enjoyed out stay at Mara Simba and the fact the you are so close to the Masai Mara is amazing in itself. We had our own private tour guide and being at the edge of the Mara river with the Serengeti on the other side and watching all that wildlife and the migration is simply unbelievable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor which is generally quieter as you are not getting pedestrian traf...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AnneDSurrey
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We,2 friends with individual rooms, both Dutch and worldtravelers,bought 2 packages from 25/8 to 27/8 for 1209 $ each in the Mara Simba lodge.
We were in general quite happy in this lodge,but there was one very big turnoff:
We booked here especialy to see the gnoe and other herbivores migracion and the crossing of the Mara river by these animals,which is a very special and thrilling event to experience.
Allready the day we arrived,our tourguide told us,that there were no more gnoes to cross the river,they had crossed allready because of the dry season,
and he advised us to come back next year:a very unexpected disappointing message for us,
that we hardly wanted to believe,because it was the main reason why we went to this place.
Later the tourguide did not change his opinion,but one is depending on his advice.
So we did not go to the Mara river on monday 26/8 and spend our day with viewing other animals,what we actually did allready in the safari the days before in Samburo.
That same evening we met a few german people and they told us that they were on the marariver that day and saw a big gnoecrossing over the Marariver.
Of course we felt frustrated and badly advised by the tourguide.
We decided to stay one day more to go to the Mara river the next day,by skipping our planned next safari to Ambusili,that we allready paid (1016 dollar each) and probably would not get back because of the late cancelacion.
The gnoecrossing was more important for us than that money.
Of course we complained with the manager,mr. James, about our bad treatment by the tourguide,which the manager understood.
We got his excuses.
We thought it would not be more then wright that we should not pay for the next day,because it was all the lodges fault.
The manager had to ask this first to the indian owner,but the owner did not take responsablilty by not paying only a part of the damage .
On the contrary, we had to pay for the next day,without parc-entrees etc. almost 500 dollar extra each ! (100 dollar more then we paid for the room before).
The next day we went and saw (after 5 hours silent waiting) a marvalous gnoecrossing and unnumerous amounts of gnoes yet waiting to pass.
We oncemore explained our opinion about this matter by email and liked to put it onceagain under the eyes of the owner to prevent a bad name of your lodge among all the people we reach,also potencial visitors of the lodge.We did not receive any answer.
Now is the time for telling on Tripadvisor our bad experience.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Perfect location on the river means that as animals pass up and down the valley, you can see a lot from your room - Crocodile, Elephant, Antelope, Hippo, Baboon
Its a well used resort but this slightly worn feel is perfect in the context. Rooms were large and spacious. Staff friendly, food good.
Longish transfer from the airstrip - that's mainly because the roads are poor.
We used their safari tour which was good as they have open sided 4 x 4, much better than the minivans we saw others in.
Next door is a Masai village which is well worth visiting
Do take lots of single dollar bills as tipping is expected & staff are not well paid

Room Tip: The buildings are in groups linked by outside paths to the main building with restaurant etc We wer...
3  Thank TheEvaluatorLondon
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Having not read any of the reviews before going to Mara Simba Lodge, only on my return, I find some of the reviewers to be a little bit harsh.

From the minute I arrived with my partner to the time I left I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Mara Simba Lodge. I was by far not expecting 5* accommodation, after all it is in the middle of the Masai Mara and I think for anyone to expect it is frankly living in cloud cuckoo land. The lodge rooms are practical, clean and serve a purpose after all I was on safari and not looking to sit in a room for hours on end.

The rest of the lodge is what I can only describe as my dream home after watching Walt Disney's Swiss Family Robinson and wanting that amazing tree house built in my garden. Completely made of wood and thatch and believe me as a roofer I spent many an hour looking at it working out how I could replicate it. Completely open to the elements, meaning it has no walls, but in the climate they are completely not needed. All areas of the lodge, including the bar, the restaurant, reception, swimming pool I found to be more than adequate and completely fitted in with the surrounding area on the Mara River. I had no issues with the electric going off at midnight after all if the Masai can live without it then so can I for a few hours, it was no great issue to me.

Now I come to the all important issue of the staffing. I cannot and would not knock any of the staff at the Mara Simba as they truly made my holiday in Kenya one I will never forget. Forever smiling, forever helpful, gracious, happy, they made it for me and on departure I was sad to see the last of them. We all particularly enjoyed our last night when the Masai came in and danced for us and especially watching the staff join in. The party I was with had a great rapport with them and Joshua who looked after us during our meals was a delight. The meals in my opinion where superb, the best I had on the whole of my holiday and considering I went onto Mauritius afterwards, they should be very much proud of what they served up every day. Believe me it was well and truly missed and the few extra pounds I put on at the Mara Simba soon disappeared at the Coin de Mere Attitude whose culinary delights where shocking.

I really cannot sing the praises of the staff enough. All I can do is thank you for what was part of my holiday of a lifetime and I do so hope that in the not so distant future I can return.

2  Thank KerryRowe