This was the last stop on our safari so we had quite a few places to compare it to. Rooms (tents) are "cozy" compared to other locations we stayed at. Our tent was at the very far left of the main building and was about a 5 minute walk. You would think it would be quiet on the other side of the camp but this is not the case as this is where the drivers stage for the game drives in the early morning, mid-afternoon and late evening and can be quite loud. We asked to move but the only room available was right next to a walkway with a bridge.
The tents are not ideal for tall people and found myself hunched over most of the time inside the tent. You are unable to secure your items in your tent as it is just a zipper that closes your room up to everyone. They do offer in-room safes but nearly enough for everything to be secured away. The hot water never got hot and one day I took a luke warm to cold shower. Beds are rock hard and I seem to have found this with the other Sarova lodges.
They do have a nice animal watching overlook and were told to come back around 7 to get a better chance at seeing some wildlife. We went back around 7, but to my disappointment they were having a private event and we were asked to leave. I wish they would have told us this before inviting us back at 7:00pm.
Most staff were very friendly and accommodating and always smiling. I had a very nice encounter with Jules (I believe that was his name) in security and just adored Emelda at the soup station. She is a shinning example of hospitality and displays such passion in her job. I work for an upscale resort and wanted to bring her with me!
Service in the restaurant was a bit slow and average. We ordered a bottle of wine our first night and they did not have it available, in fact we had to make two more selections before one was available that we wanted to try. It did take awhile to get our bill at the end of the evening and had to find assistance to close out our bill. The server did apologize for the long delay, however.
Kudos to the culinary team for tasty food and a variety of options. They featured many local dishes as well as more traditional selections and made to order stations. On our 2nd day we had the camp prepare a box lunch for us and we were so impressed with the amount & quality of the food provided.
On the 2nd night, we were pleasantly surprised to find a local tribe perform in the lobby with native song and dance and even had some of the spectators participate in the dance. The bar offers live music and a cozy fireplace.
The property does have a business center where you are able to utilize complimentary WiFi, which was very nice.
The power does go out during the afternoon and late evening.
All in all a great experience but still room for improvement.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sarova Mara Game Camp is located in the heart of the Maasai Mara Game Reserve in South West Kenya. It is 260 km from Nairobi, a 1-hour flight from Nairobi, 20-minute drive from the airstrip and a 5 1/2-hours drive from Nairobi on the new tarmac road. It is set on an elevation surrounded by two streams. The Camp is uniquely laid out over the sprawling grounds that include rolling manicured greens, a virtual mini forest of indigenous shrubs and exotic trees, a large pond stocked with fish, mini bird sanctuary and an authentic Maasai village adjoining the Camp. The Camp includes 20 club tents, 51 standard tents, 2 family tents, a main restaurant, bar and many bush dining options. The free form swimming pool has its own pool bar. In addition, it has its own fleet of well equipped safari vehicles with excellent guides. There are meeting rooms and numerous outdoor venues for dining and leisure. The entire Camp is surrounded by a 24 hour electric fence. The climate is very pleasant with clear warm days and cool nights Temperatures average from 26ْ C during the day to 12ْ C at night. There are sporadic rains in March, April, November & December. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Sarova Mara Game Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sarova Mara Game Camp Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Sarova Mara Game Camp Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve