WINNER WONDERLAND

“Feedback- VEGITERIAN- JAIN FOOD AND CAMP” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sarova Mara Game Camp

Sarova Mara Game Camp
Derby, United Kingdom
“Feedback- VEGITERIAN- JAIN FOOD AND CAMP”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were very satisfied with the service and with the food at the Mara Sarova resort. We in particular wanted to praise the chef Gilbert Meambisi who was a pleasure to deal with. Gilbert was very friendly, his cooking skills, we believed to be brilliant as he catered very well for vegetarians and people from the Jain community. Also, Gilbert's customer service skills were excellent. We were very pleased with the resort and the food provided at the resort and were grateful with the hospitality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hinal K
Francis M, General Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to review us on tripadvisor.
It’s a pleasure to note that we surpassed your expectations especially in meeting your culinary needs. I have noted your commendation of Gilbert’s services which has earned him a Sarova Star and a nomination in the Employee of the Year competition.
We trust that we will be having an opportunity once again to be of service to you. Welcome back!
Lodge Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The tents are actually wooden cabins without side walls in the bed area (there are real walls in the bathroom area) and a tent inside them. So overall the hotel is a lot like the Sarova Lodge at Lake Nakuru but with some canvas walls. The tents don't lock up - there is a safe and also a chest that you could lock if you brought your own padlock. So to be on the safe side I took my laptop everywhere with me in a backpack. I thought it was safer to bring it than leave it in left luggage at our hotel in Nairobi. Probably it's safe to leave it in your room but I was cautious. I also felt safe walking around the grounds which are protected from wild animals by electric fences. There is forest on the grounds of the hotel and a herd of dikdik antelopes that are like very large rabbits. I was woken up in the middle of the night by what turned out to be a hyrax (according to my driver) shrieking near my tent, but my wife managed to sleep through it. Don't bother paying for internet access unless you have something really urgent to do and lots of patience. It hardly works and is very very slow. We saw lots of wildlife very close to the lodge when we went out on game drives though it is a long way to the Mara River from here. You don't have any view from inside the lodge due to the trees. The swimming pool is nice though on the coldish side - but warmer than one on the roof of a hotel in the Costa Del Sol that I recently stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank moominoid
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Sarova Mara Game Camp as your accommodation venue during your Safari to Kenya. It was indeed a pleasure hosting you. We also appreciate that you took time to send detailed feedback on your stay.
We strive to ensure that our guests have a safe and comfortable environment while enjoying nature as much as possible. I have also noted the issues with internet and we will be engaging our providers to improve the connectivity as we are challenged by the distance from town.
We appreciate you and look forward to your next stay.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I visited at five lodges in Kenya and Tanzania during my trip. This was easily the best expereince. Your tent comes with a roof overhead, a queen sized bed, a beautiful tiled walk-in shower, hot running water, a desk, wardrobe cabinet and wifi. This is extraordinary comfort in an accommodation that allows you to fall asleep listening to the night sounds all around you, including some pretty dramatic renditions from tree hyrax. The grounds are lovely, the pool is very inviting, the bar is a relaxed and comfortable place to meet others or just reflect upon the sights of the day. The food buffet was expansive, the service very cheerful and I just loved the soup station where I could watch while a customized version of the day's soup was concocted to suit my preference. As with most places I visited, the baked good were not to the standard of my homeland, but who cares? You don't go to Africa for the croissants. The staff in every area of operation were friendly and helpful. The gift shop had the best selection of craft items I encountered on my journey. Wish I had made more purchases there, instead of assuming I would find more interesting treasures further along.

There is no electric power to the tent sites from midnight until 4am; but you have a flashlight and your bathroom is only steps away. There is a charge for wifi use that can be paid in increments of time and that was completely annoying in that you might lose message contents if you didn't complete it and send it before your time ran out. TI would prefer to have a fee added to the room rate and receive unlimited wifi; but perhaps this a means of rationing its use if capacity is limited.

This is a wonderful place to stay while visiting the Mara and you must nitpick as I have done in order to find anything wrong here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wabanmom
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your quality time to post this review. It gives me great pleasure to note that our services surpassed your expectations. We at Sarova pride ourselves in ensuring that all our guests are left with special memories of their stay within our properties. We also take great care in preparation and serving of our food to ensure all tastes are catered for. I have noted your comment on our pastries and will be sharing it with the kitchen team to ensure that we improve on this aspect.
Thank you for recommending our property and we are definitely looking forward to hosting you soon.

Bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I loved the rooms we got at Sarova. We took the presidential tents and they were super spacious with enough room for us to come back and do some work on our images after the game drive. Each tent has a great sit out - good place to hang out with friends and to just chill.

The staff was very accommodative of my special needs with food and they were able to serve me up something exclusive of the buffet each time. The only thing that sucks is that unlike other Sarovas this camp doesn't have free Internet.

Location wise this camp is central and just a few minutes away from the main Sekaneni gate. There's usually heaps happening in this area and Talek is only a stone's throw from here. So you're assured that your game drives will be quite productive. The Fig Tree obviously has a far better location though, since it is at the center of all the major action.

If you did come back to the lodge in the afternoons, then look around for birds and some of the resident herbivores. You should be able to find dik diks with ease and there are several forest birds that are tough to find on the grassland that'll be on the trees. In general a very well thought out camp.

Room Tip: Pick the presidential suite, especially if you're traveling with kids.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sumeet M
Dear Guest,
It is always a delight to read from a happy guest, having indulged and enjoyed what we have to offer.
Our sincere gratitude for your patronage, we thank you for your kind compliments.
Am also delighted to note that you enjoyed the closeness to nature which is a unique feature of the camp. During your next visit, kindly contact us to arrange for a nature walk by our local guides who will show you the various plants and animals within the forest which surrounds the camp.
Welcome once again and we look forward to hosting you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family and I spent 3 nights in Sarova Mara Game Camp and really enjoyed the time there. The concept of the tents set amongst nature and rivers was an unforgettable experience and it was nice to be woken up to the sound of birds in the nearby trees. Food was great as well with a huge array of local and international cuisines to choose from the buffet. Staff were exceptionally friendly and made our stay a warm and welcoming one. Special thanks to Linda Alila and Lucy Wanjiru who went out of their way to make our stay what it was. It was lovely to meet the two of them! Highly recommend Sarova Mara Game Camp for anyone going to Maasai Mara for safari.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank moonlight-rivers
Dear Guest,
Such a lovely review, we are humbled. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. We are glad to read that you enjoyed our facilities and what we have to offer without forgetting our service and hospitality.
I am happy that you enjoyed the natural surroundings and the morning ‘wake up calls’ from the birds added to your experience. Join our guides on your next visit for a walk around the compound to view the amazing bird life that can be found within the lodge.
Your high recommendation is greatly appreciated and we all look forward to welcoming you back again.

Diriamba, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

In the middle of the savannah in a tent. Add a comfy king sized bed, hot shower, and hot water bottle. Who could ask for anything more? The food was wonderful; lived the masai dancers. The park itself is spacious and full of wildlife, although you may have to drive a ways to find it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bellabolivia7
Francis M, General Manager at Sarova Mara Game Camp, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are very pleased that you took your time to share your experience at our Resort and quite humbled by your compliments.
We at Sarova Hotels remain committed to offering excellent products and services to our guests. We are honored that you found our Best Of Kenya cuisine to be wonderful enhancing your dining experience. I am also happy that you enjoyed the Maasai dance. This is part of living up to our mission of working with the communities we operate in as the dancers come from the nearby communities. We also incorporate them in our activities during the day as most are employed within the lodge in various departments.
Thank you once again and we look forward to hosting you for another unforgettable experience.

Msengeti Francis
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you so much for a fantastic holiday for myself and my family at Mara Sarova Camp. Your organisation and attention to detail ensured that every part of our holiday flowed seamlessly.
The standard of tents, food, customer service was excellent. Thank you also for giving us an upgrade, it truly was out of this world. The staff looked after us so well, the food was excellent, the standard of the accommodation was luxurious and the scenery and setting was simply stunning.
I cannot recommend highly enough the early morning game drive safari, and not forgetting the migration. it is a must for anyone visiting the Masai Mara. The food produced by the chef’s was astounding (better than many restaurants!)

Thank you again for organizing a fantastic trip and ensuring that our trip to Masai Mara especially to Mara Sarova will never be forgotten and the next time around I would certainly like to engage your services once again. and i will definitely recomend my freinds and family to book a holiday at Mara Sarova.

Idris and Alifiyah Nanabhai

Room Tip: I recommend to go for the executive tents.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank idrisnana
Dear Idris and Alifiyah Nanabhai,
Thank you for taking your quality time to post this review. It gives me great pleasure to note that our services surpassed your expectations. It was indeed an honor and pleasure hosting you and your family. Your kind comments on our facilities and services designed to meet the vast needs of our various guests including the young ones are indeed appreciated
Thank you also for making special note of our food. We strive to provide an excellent offer in terms of variety and taste which will cater for our clients needs. The kitchen team is also at hand and very visible at our active cooking stations to ensure that any personalized requests on food are met.
I am most humbled by your kind recommendation and look forward to hosting you again on your next Safari.