All reviewsbase campeagle viewmasai marathe riverdomestic airportgame driveslocal womengreat safarinational parkamazing experiencewalking safarilocal communityanimals grazingoutdoor showeranimal noisesmain campthree nights
Reviewed October 22, 2010

The location, the decor (eco-friendly and simply beautiful), the amenities, the attention to detail, the staff, and the guides are all superb. Add to this the beauty of the Mara and the array of wildlife in and around Basecamp, and this place is hard to beat. I've been twice and will definitely visit again for, I hope, a longer stay. The tents are large, comfortable and, in a word, lovely, as is the bathroom (yes, composting toilet, too) and outdoor shower that's been crafted into the nook of a tree limb. The food is excellent (I'm a vegan and had great meals) and the staff is extremely well-informed, interested, friendly and keen to share details about the Mara and the lodge. It's hard to say enough about the guides: smart, dedicated and engaging. I learned a lot and enjoyed each minute of the "game" drives. On my most recent visit, we saw 18 lions in one pride, several groups of elephants, lots of wildebeest and buffalo, giraffes, zebras, crocodiles, among others. I also took a great walk to the Basecamp tree nursery. We stepped in the footprints of elephants who'd been there (trampling seedlings and fencing) the night before. The place, the people, the landscape, the animals: all simply wonderful. Go - and stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank GreenBrooklyn
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed in the base camp for 3 nights and I love the tent, the hammock, and the view of the little stream where you can see baboons crossing. The outdoor bath was also pretty cool and was pleasantly suprised that the water was hot.Service was also good and the food was pretty good. When we have breakfast in the morning, you can see zebras and wildebeest grazing from afar. .

The tents were cool and airy at night, and they have us a water bottle and it gets a bit chilly in the night. Nothing beats the feeling of sleeping to the lullaby of the wildlife in the night and waking up to the birds chirping.

The only drawback in the eco lodge is that there isn't a flushing toilet, so I think they should have provided a bottle of air refresher to help freshen up the place

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I stayed at Basecamp Explorer in the Masai Mara with my two kids (10 and 13) for a week this summer, and it's really a once in a lifetime experience (except that you just have to go back when you've once been there)!

The hotell is an eco-camp (and has won several prizes for it), and also has a very high standard on food and rooms. I could actually lie in my bed watching giraffes, wilderbeast, zebras+++ passing by on the savanna!

But what really struck us, was the meeting with the Masais! They are fantastic guides to the wildlife, and we had close-ups with several cheetahs, leopards and grazing hippos! And the kids loved learning to use a bow and arrow from a Masai, talking and singing in the evening by the fireplace and spend the hole day with them, finding hunting lions, crocodiles having thompson gazelles for dinner and the migrating wilderbeast and zebras crossing the mara river!

I can't imagine anyone regretting a stay at Basecamp Explorer in Masai Mara!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheetahfan
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Amazing game drives, competent and friendly guides, superb service. I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed here for three nights as part of our honeymoon - absolutely wonderful experience! Do take the time to go on the tour of the camp itself as it is fascinating to learn about the ways the camp is innovating around conservation issues. At night you can hear baboons calling to one another and we even heard a leopard!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple