Olarro(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,161
Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,572
  • Pool
Royal Mara Safari Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$644
$424
  • Breakfast included
Neptune Mara Rianta Luxury Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$998
  • Breakfast included
Mara River Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$393
$363
  • Breakfast included
Losokwan Camp Maasai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$832
$310
  • Breakfast included
Amani Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$690
$658
  • Breakfast included
Governor's Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$948
$867
  • Restaurant
Mara Engai Wilderness Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,411
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbase campeagle viewmasai maratalek riverdomestic airportlocal womengame drivesgreat safarinational parkamazing experiencewalking safarilocal communityoutdoor showeranimal noisesmain campthree nightstented lodge
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed in the base camp for 3 nights and I love the tent, the hammock, and the view of the little stream where you can see baboons crossing. The outdoor bath was also pretty cool and was pleasantly suprised that the water was hot.Service was also good and the food was pretty good. When we have breakfast in the morning, you can see zebras and wildebeest grazing from afar. .

The tents were cool and airy at night, and they have us a water bottle and it gets a bit chilly in the night. Nothing beats the feeling of sleeping to the lullaby of the wildlife in the night and waking up to the birds chirping.

The only drawback in the eco lodge is that there isn't a flushing toilet, so I think they should have provided a bottle of air refresher to help freshen up the place

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I stayed at Basecamp Explorer in the Masai Mara with my two kids (10 and 13) for a week this summer, and it's really a once in a lifetime experience (except that you just have to go back when you've once been there)!

The hotell is an eco-camp (and has won several prizes for it), and also has a very high standard on food and rooms. I could actually lie in my bed watching giraffes, wilderbeast, zebras+++ passing by on the savanna!

But what really struck us, was the meeting with the Masais! They are fantastic guides to the wildlife, and we had close-ups with several cheetahs, leopards and grazing hippos! And the kids loved learning to use a bow and arrow from a Masai, talking and singing in the evening by the fireplace and spend the hole day with them, finding hunting lions, crocodiles having thompson gazelles for dinner and the migrating wilderbeast and zebras crossing the mara river!

I can't imagine anyone regretting a stay at Basecamp Explorer in Masai Mara!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheetahfan
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Amazing game drives, competent and friendly guides, superb service. I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed here for three nights as part of our honeymoon - absolutely wonderful experience! Do take the time to go on the tour of the camp itself as it is fascinating to learn about the ways the camp is innovating around conservation issues. At night you can hear baboons calling to one another and we even heard a leopard!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I just returned from my first visit to the Masai Mara, where I stayed at Basecamp Explorer (formerly known just as Basecamp). I didn't really know what to expect but was more than pleasantly surprised by the experience. The camp tents were spacious and comfortable, everything is run on solar power and the food and service were wonderful.

The Masai who run and guard the camp were so kind, thoughtful and friendly, they felt like family by the time we had to leave. Our guide, George, was patient and interesting and just an all-around wonderful guy who made sure we got to see everything we wanted to see but never pushed us. The mornings start early with a game drive followed by breakfast overlooking the savannah. Afternoons provide some time to relax, listen to the baboons play in the trees, visit the Masai women whose beading project is supported by Basecamp or chat with the Masai warriors who look over the camp and the guests. (At night, they escort you to and from your tent as the camp is not fenced.)

Each night, we sat out under the amazingly bright stars, sipping wine, listening to the nightsong of birds and frogs and were simply awed by the vastness of the Mara. The bush dinner organised by the camp cost extra but was definitely worth it. We felt like royalty. We stayed three nights and four days.... I wish we had planned a couple of days longer just to be able to really relax and spend some time in the camp reading and sleeping. It's such a peaceful place.

The road up to the Mara is quite bumpy so the trip isn't for everyone. You can wind up with a quite a sore rear end. Also, it's a truly eco-friendly place, which means there are no flushing toilets, the showers are heated by the power of the sun and there is no electricity (apart from solar power) in the camp -- also no TV, internet or phones (although there is cell coverage). That said, the bathrooms were amazingly clean and not at all like a portable experience... you simply don't flush and the waste is cleaned up and recycled in different ways daily. (Take a head flashlight to make things easier brushing your teeth at night -- also, don't drink or use the "tap" water for brushing. They provide you with clean water for that purpose.)

What's nice is that you are in this amazing setting, being treated like a member of the family rather than a stranger, and it's really very comfortable.... yet you don't leave much of a negative footprint, which makes everything even nicer. I cried when I left and will go back the next time I get a chance. I heard similar things from colleagues in Nairobi, who say it's one of the best places to visit in Kenya. It also seems to be much cheaper and fairer price-wise than other places I looked at on-line.

I would recommend it to couples looking for a magical getaway, families with children looking for adventure (but the kids need to be prepared to ride in the van for several hours looking for lions, etc.) and friends wanting to spend a memorable few days together.

Here's the website: http://www.basecampexplorer.com/our_destinations/masai_mara