We spent two nights at Basecamp, in a luxury tent. This provided a separate bathroom and an eco toilet which was quite acceptable to the non camper in our family. The setting here, on the river, is very special and we had loads of monkeys and baboons at hand so the advise that we accept a security guard to accompany us after dark was well taken.
Service here is outstanding. Like other camps in the Mara there is a set menu but it was quite good and the extras (wine & soft drinks) were reasonably priced. The camp is well located for forays into the game preserve. One fun feature is the group of trees planted by a U.S. Senator from Illinois who later became President, who visited here with his family while still a Senator. This is a well-located, well-run, smallish camp with great food and service. Definitely worth its rating, or even more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Basecamp Masai Mara provides 12 spacious and luxurious tents, bordering the Masai Mara National reserve, on a lush peninsula in the Talek River, with spectacular views of the savannah. You have your own veranda overlooking the river, bathroom en-suite with a hot solar heated shower open to the sky. Enjoy the amazing wildlife from your tent, the fig-tree platform, or in the open-air bar - a responsible approach to the classic safari ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Basecamp Masai Mara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Basecamp Masai Mara Hotel Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Basecamp Masai Mara Kenya/Maasai Mara National Reserve