All reviewsbase campeagle viewmasai marathe riverdomestic airportgame driveslocal womengreat safarinational parkamazing experiencewalking safarilocal communityanimals grazingoutdoor showeranimal noisesmain campthree nights
Reviewed August 19, 2012

A family of 5, we started of a Basecamp for two nights, two nights at Dorado Bush camp and finishing the week with two nights at the newly renovated "Eagle View". Basecamp gave us an introduction to Kenya, the area with all its exciting wildlife and the Maasai culture. Staff were friendly, food were excellent and the guides very professional. At the Bush camp "Dorobo" we lived as one with the nature, more simple living but still excellent food and service. We kept the same guides who now became more like friends. The best thing in Dorobo was the "walking safaris" were we the local Maasai guides shared their knowledge about the wildlife and suddenly you were in the wildlife( A bit scary at the start). We finished off at "Eagle view"...what a place!!
The newly renovated Eagle view took our breath away....new tents (if you can call it tents:-), friendly people and you guessed it, the same guides. The food was even better and we truly enjoyed the stay, all of us.

In one way we were lucky and I believe did the camps in the correct order finishing off with Eagle View. The other way around had not been as good. If you cannot stay at all three places I’d go for “Eagle view” maybe three nights with one to two days in the bush camp.

I had this Safari on my bucket list...I had high expectations and Basecamp delivered more than I had hoped for.

Thomas, Marit, Frida, Malin & Ellie

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Thomas B
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just stayed there one night. Entrance is kind of bushy, but rooms are very nice, outdoor showers are outstanding. Rooms are quite large, with separate toilet, urinal, and sink areas. Clean and quiet. Staff were friendly and helpful. Sat with one for 1 hr and learned much about the local people and their culture. Meals were excellent, most had prepared standard breakfast but I had cook for order. Close proximity to park edge, and our game drive at 630am was amazing: life and death on the Mara observed firsthand. I wasn't supposed to stay here (was bait and switched by my travel agent Sardius Tours and Safaris (Nairobi)), but I would return and recommend strongly this place to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Having worked for some weeks with one of the Maasai educational projects Basecamp supports at Koiyake Guiding School, I had the amazing good fortune to spend three nights at Basecamp Masai Mara. Having come to know the Maasai people a little better it was wonderful to see their industry and experience their kindness and care in this glorious spot by the Talek river with views across the savannah. This is a most understated and luxurious camp, yet totally eco-friendly and ethically run. Game drives were amazing, and food and comfort was exceptional. I would highly recommend a stay here, or at their sister camp Eagle's View : it must rank as the experience of a lifetime.

Room Tip: All the tents are equally wonderful
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Basecamp Masai Mara is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have ever visited. I felt like home as soon as I entered the area. I concept is brilliant, and it feels very up to date, as well as traditional. Masai Mara is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and to me it doesn't seem more then fair to encourage eco-friendly initiatives like Basecamp, in my opinion all the lodges should replicate this concept. I had a wonderful time!!

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank clarabrandt
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Basecanp is exactly what you would imagine a trip to Maasi Mara should be. Luxury but with ecologically preserving practices. And commitment to the community it occupies.
Wonderful tents along a river, fabulous with with a lot of variety and lovely service.

Would definitely return

Room Tip: Tents along the river were wonderful. I would not choose the tent that the Obama's stayed in as it was too close to the dining area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends