Olarro(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,161
Olare Mara Kempinski Masai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,572
  • Pool
Royal Mara Safari Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$644
$424
  • Breakfast included
Neptune Mara Rianta Luxury Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$998
  • Breakfast included
Mara River Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$393
$363
  • Breakfast included
Losokwan Camp Maasai Mara(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$832
$310
  • Breakfast included
Amani Mara Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$690
$658
  • Breakfast included
Governor's Camp(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$948
$867
  • Restaurant
Mara Engai Wilderness Lodge(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$1,543
$1,411
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mara Safari Club(Maasai Mara National Reserve)
$720
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbase campeagle viewmasai maratalek riverdomestic airportlocal womengame drivesgreat safarinational parkamazing experiencewalking safarilocal communityoutdoor showeranimal noisesmain campthree nightstented lodge
Reviewed January 25, 2012

While volunteering in Maai Mahiu we took a quick to Basecamp for one night and it was, for a lack of a better word, magical. The drive was long and very, very bumpy. Be prepared and don’t expect for many stops along the way. The drive allows you to see how the locals live and soak in the Kenyan culture. Once we arrived we were greeted with a fresh glass of juice and then shown to our “rooms” which are actually just tents. This is not a hotel, but rather, a fancy place to camp- having an outdoor shower and exotic animals just a few feet from where you sleep. They have local tribesmen standing guard for you at night in case you need to leave your tent, because the monkeys are not known for friendliness. The food was delish and great customer service was provided by the staff. The dinner house is all open so you can watch the beautiful animals roam while you eat your meals. This place is super romantic so it’s a great spot for couples. I consider staying here one of my greatest adventures yet and I think anyone who has the opportunity to travel here is incredibly lucky in life.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tw143143
Reviewed January 21, 2012

This trip was just fantastic. When arriving at Olkiombo Airstrip, my guides where greeting me a warm welcome before we through a gamedrive headed for the Basecamp.
This Eco-camp was located just beside the Talek-river with breakfast-view over the Savannah with the animals grazing in the chilly morning.
Also here the reception of guests was good. The hospitality of the employees were as expected. The cabins were original, tidy and clean.
The food was good, with starters, main course and desserts every day. The staff were friendly and service-minded and seemed professional. After dark you can hear all the sounds of the Savannah. Especially when you try to sleep in your cabin/tent you can hear the lions roaring and all the monkeys just close up around your cabin.
The game-drive's were great, one in the morning before returning to breakfast and one in the afternoon. It was not hard to discover and see the animals as we actually saw four out of the big 5's the at the first game-drive. You also had the opportunity to do several other activities beside game-drives, but for me I enjoyed the lunches at day time and my private hammock at my terrace with a good book.
After my stay in Basecamp I left for Nairobi.
I would recommend this place for people in all ages, its a perfect place for a two-four day stop. As a solo-traveller you just need to have a open mind to meet new people, and I met new people along the way. I always had someone to share my dinners with although I travelled on my own.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Martin D
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Masai Mara speaks for itself (just look it up at Flickr) - and Basecamp Masai Mara must be one of the absolute best choices. Surprisingly good food (although desserts could have been better, and we had a little too much company from bugs at one dinner due to the light at our table), spacious and romantic tents and a seemingly very responsible policy towards the environment and employees made this a wonderful experience for us.

It seems a little odd to stay in a eco-resort when you fly in to drive gas-guzzling 4WDs all day watching animals, but I guess this is as close as it gets. Basecamp wants you to plant some trees (next to Obamas?) for 25 USD to make up for it..

One last thing: I expected a lot of mosquito-bites, but after 2,5 days all five of us had zero. Amazing. Steve, our guide, knew all we needed to know and showed us all of the big animals, except the poor rhino.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We saw some of our best game viewing while visiting this camp - the migrations across the river, unforgettable!

Basecamp is a small, personal camp just outside the Mara. Yes it is close to a local community, but do not let this deter you - inside the camp you feel absolutely inside the Mara, and Basecamp's contribution to the community is a fundamental part of its ecotourism approach. The camp is gloriously quiet with great views into the park.

Lodging-wise, all Mara camps are expensive, and as with most of them, Basecamp lodging is tented, but well kept - these are luxury tented camps after all.

Get a tour of the camp so that they can explain how they manage their water, the solar power, the washing, and so on - because Basecamp has gone to great lengths to minimise its impact on the environment (something you will not see with some of the bigger, more "industrial" camps in the Mara) while also trying to contribute to the community - an important message for any visitor to this increasingly fragile and threatened ecosystem.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank senti2comun
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Its has been a wonderful experience traveling in Kenya and Tanzania with Basecamp Explorer, it give us the chance of feeling Africa.
Asante Sana